April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (tut, rtw, oskar, Jem Finch, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#558954 11/22/19 08:18 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody here ever try it? Thinking about about adding it to the Thanksgiving menu this year.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/22/19 08:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've eaten venison, elk and muskox mincemeat pie and I liked it all. My folks used to make mincemeat out of elk and deer, one or the other, every year when I was a kid and when I lived in AK, I shot a muskox, sent them some meat and they made mincemeat out of some of it.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to add to the menu this year!

I sent them the musk ox meat in 1989 and they canned some of the musk ox mincemeat they'd made. About 5-6 years ago, I was talking to my folks who were in their late 80's at the time and my mom mentioned she had made a pie from the mincemeat to take to a church social. She said the pie was a hit and told the folks the mincemeat was made from musk ox...I asked if she told them how long ago it had been canned, "no I didn't tell them that, but it was still fine," was her response. I had to laugh about that one!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story, Cameron.

Does mincemeat pie have grits in it? Just wondering'......

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Stan....my folks, a couple of depression era people who waste absolutely nothing, and incidentally are still living in their own home pushing their mid 90's and had their 70th wedding anniversary a little over a week ago.

I don't think the mincemeat they made had grits in it. I know it had raisins, red currents and some other fruits and ingredients but I'm not exactly sure what! I'm heading to their home for Thanksgiving, I may need to ask for the recipe.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

sounds wonderful...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was asking tongue I cheek, Cameron. Didn't really expect it did, but the currants and fruit does sound good in there. Never had mincemeat pie in my life, but would like to try it someday. It's not a traditional dish in my part of the South.

Super congratulations to your parents. Seventy years together, wow! What a blessed couple.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know it sounds odd, but I had carrot cake made with deer meat rather than carrots. Now, carrot cake can be quite good, and the "deer" cake with that wonderful frosting was super. One could not tell it from the cake made with carrots. Later, I tried making carrot cake with caribou with similar results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't for get the "Minces" in that pie-- Never understood what minces are, and how much eatin' meat (roast, chops, backstraps
you can get, using a good sharp knife and some skill-- Now grits- man, I'd run through a forest fire wearing kerosene BVD's for some real home-made grits (Not the box kind they sell up here)- salt, pepper and butter suits me right down to the ground. Happy Turkey Day. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd, but have you ever had German chocolate cake with sauerkraut(marinated in brown sugar) inside- and the coconut coating on the top. Not too shabby for desert-- Der Fuchs

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Modern mince meat has very little meat in it.

It was traditionally made with dried meat.

American mince meat stems from early settlers exposure to pemmican. A way to store meat and fat with fruit for high energy density food over winter and spring.

Euro varieties lean more to the dessert realm. Almost all sweet fruits and spices.

Just finished a batch of Czernina here.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.