March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 32 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many visemakers cataloged 8, 9, and 10 vises. But, I dont think they sold too many of those. A 200+ pound tool can be unhandy.
A friends grandfather had a 8 Prentiss. When the old guy died, it didnt sell at the auction. I think it ended up in a pile of scrap. I could have had it for nothing.
But, it was beat pretty hard, and was more than I weighed, or, even more then I weigh now.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a monster

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't notice the covered pictures of the vise earlier. They give a look at how it was built. A stout piece, that's interesting to see the thought process, but it completely ruins the mystique.

I thought the Milwaukee Tools info sheet on the Morgans is interesting. As the jaw width goes up, it's logical that the weight would go up. But, when the jaw width gets to five inches and up, there's a disproportionate jump in weight. Bigger isn't always better, but once one of those bigger ones are mounted decently, things must feel rock steady, compared to a six inch big orange special on a workmate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I imagine the 6 thru 9 inch vises were mostly for industrial settings: shipyards, rail yards etc. I also suspect that with the reduction of American heavy industry, many have been scrapped. I may not have a use for one, but I really want one smile

craigd #559058 11/24/19 12:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I didn't notice the covered pictures of the vise earlier. They give a look at how it was built. A stout piece, that's interesting to see the thought process, but it completely ruins the mystique.

I thought the Milwaukee Tools info sheet on the Morgans is interesting. As the jaw width goes up, it's logical that the weight would go up. But, when the jaw width gets to five inches and up, there's a disproportionate jump in weight. Bigger isn't always better, but once one of those bigger ones are mounted decently, things must feel rock steady, compared to a six inch big orange special on a workmate.

Every printshop I ever worked in had a half assed excuse for a vise lagbolted to someone elses idea of a work bench. I lived with a well mounted, but, small, Sears 4 1/2 utility vise (think Sears branded, not Craftsman) until I found myself in the middle of a 1971 442 restoration. Building the mount took some expense and effort, as did ponying up for a new vise. I did not want the big vise on the bench, no way, no how.

But, In those thirty years since, I have never looked back and wished for something less.

The Sears has been relocated to where I work. It is better than the vise they had when I got there.

Best,
Ted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my anvil...4"x4". It's a rail road car side bearing.
It lays on its side at four points between the trucks and the rail car body. It carries the entire weight of a rail car.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an anvil, and a round:

My Father (it was his, no idea from where it came) advised to not mount the anvil down, lest you be tempted to beat things harder than they deserved. I never did. It is steel, not iron, has no markings on it, and is not all that user friendly in shape, long and narrow. Ive started pins moving or going home with it, and that is about it.

The round is a 3 1/2 round by 5 section of 4140 chromoly solid, that doubles as a door stop, when I need to move some air through the shop.

As Ive gotten older, I have fewer uses for either, and fewer things that need more than a light love tap with a small ball peen.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, your anvil is the classic train track shop made anvil. The smaller size would have me guessing that it was from a smaller track like found in mines for the carts, or maybe overhead tracks for something like commercial sliding doors or some other factory overhead material handling system.

My 'anvil' is a 5+ by 5+ inch hardened post that's around two hundred pounds by itself. I made a steel base for it that has six bags of shot in it, and it's drawn tight together as one unit with chain. All together, it's a little over four hundred pounds. Nice rebound, no hopping around or vibration, small foot print.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, I had considered that, but, dismissed it, mostly because I didnt give any thought to smaller rails. It didnt seem likely that someone had made it from regular train track. Good eye you have there.
I imagine you could use any kind of shot to dampen a mount, but, lead would be hard to beat. I figured it wouldnt rust, and I could buy it reclaimed from my local club, 1 mile north of me.
The vise is about 90 pounds, and Id hazard a guess the mount filled with lead shot and some oil approaches 400. The whole thing is bolted down with concrete anchors.

Id hate to back into it with the car.

Best,
Ted

craigd #559243 11/27/19 03:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Although I signed off of the vise discussion, I couldn't help but join in the anvil talk. I recently picked up this 1897 180# Fisher. It's mounted to a section of water oak with wheels that don't touch the ground unless they are engaged. Plenty solid and mobile.

I used it to straighten the handle of my vise, as you can see. It's probably overkill for gunsmithing but it will keep me from being tempted to use my vise as an anvil.

My first real project is going to be making tongs.

Jim
Page 28 of 32 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.