March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was hoping the video would demonstrate how to fix the birds. They look like Meadow Larks.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Folks in the rural areas of the South during hard times would eat robins. I've heard stories of "rattling" hedges at night with Calcutta cane poles and picking up and dispatching the stunned songbirds that were roosting. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robins should have been easy pickings when they're drunk on chinaberries, in the fall.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, when I was in grammar school, the playground was edged by pyrachanta bushes. When the red berries ripened, waves of cedar waxwings would flock to the bushes and get drunk on the fermenting berries. They could be easily picked up by hand. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see a lot of cedar waxwings, robins, and starlings freeing on fall and winter berries. I haven't seen any that I can say for sure are intoxicated. Certainly, never any I could pick up.

What keeps the alcohol from evaporating before the bird eats it?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Macon, GA is full of planted Sugarberry trees. One year a tremendous flock of migrating Evening Grosbeaks arrived just as the berries were falling from the trees. I remember one whole day I spent gently picking up the drunk birds from busy streets and putting them back in people's yards to sleep it off...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, on any given tree the berries are in different stages of fermentation as long as there's sugar left in the berry. Fermentation takes place not just on the surface but throughout the berry. It doesn't take much for a robin to get snockered.
In reading James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series set in Cajun country Louisiana, there's often mentioned a pot of robin gumbo in small knife and gun clubs (bars) for patrons' consumption.
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the sixties when there was a big migration of Greek people into this country, my Dad caught these Greek hunters out in the young wheat crop.

They had not sought permission to hunt on Dads farm, but worse than that was they were walking the crop down.
Now Dad was particular about any bugger walking the crop down, whether it was me, some Emu Kangaroo or Goat or some Greek hunters & that was the main reason for stopping them.

So while he had them there he asked them what they were hunting.
One replied "We shoot him the Ha Ha pigeon."
Dad had never before heard of a Ha Ha pigeon so asked what that was. The Greek hunter then produced a Kookaburra from his game bag, held it up and repeated Ha Ha pigeon a few more times.

Needless to say, they then got the short shrift & told not to return.

The Kookaburra is known also as the laughing Kookaburra because of their call. Google it if you don't know of this Australian bird. They are definitely not common table fare here & are also protected by law.

O.M

Last edited by moses; 11/29/19 12:46 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.