Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine measured about 5 pounds when they returned it to me. The left barrel came in at about 5. No, they aren't going to give you probably what you would like, but then, you can either do what Stan advises or send it to someone you trust. Since I only have around 15 rounds through my gun, I'm confident they will lighten up with use.

Bruce

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan: That's a shame. Good wingshooting requires good triggers, period. I had to fight a bit with the Dickenson service guy, but he finally saw it my way and put the triggers down in the 3 1/2 - 4 lb range (per Mark Reynold's trigger gauge). I had asked for 3 and 3 1/2. The gun weighs only 5 1/2 lbs and anything heavier causes me to rotate it when firing.

Another reason for buying this gun now is the current political climate. I spoke at length with the vendor about his shipping and FFL requirements and he gave me an earful about doing business in some of the more-difficult states (California, New York, Maryland, etc.). I've got all the guns I'll likely ever need going forward, but my son doesn't (quite yet). I'm also wondering just how long CZ (and others) will be making such a product available to consumers here. For such short money, I figured "why not".

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/26/19 05:21 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a local 'smith do the trigger work for a fair price on my first generation CZ Bobwhite 28 ga. There's nothing exotic about the innards. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

3 1/2# - 4# is pretty good on a hunting gun, Lloyd. Glad yours turned out so good. Were you talking to the actual service man, or a representative for Dickinson? The reply I got was from a rep. who told me to send it back and put a note in the box saying that he said to lighten them to 6#.

If I had one that needed lightening I'd just send it to Phillip Crenwelge and be done with it. I do simple triggers myself, but have never done a trigger plate action, so Phillip would get the nod on it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I actually tracked down the gentleman that did the work. I've since tried to find his contact info but....no luck. This was 3-4 years ago now, so maybe he'd not been given the company line on trigger-pull weights yet?
Six pounds is just ridiculous on a 5-lb gun. Any decent British game gun is right around 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of pull.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/27/19 12:10 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got the gun yesterday. Seemed pretty decent in an overall sense. I'm used to a bit more refinement in a double but I wasn't disappointing by the weight or even the fit and finish. The triggers weren't great but they seemed serviceable (nice break, no creep). Did my background check, looked at a sweet & light little Verny Carron 16 for $2700 that somebody had buggered the screws on (damn shame!) and brought the $600 Bobwhite home. Took it up to a buddy's house this morning to put a trigger gauge on it. Front trigger broke at 6 1/2 lbs, the back trigger exceeded the 8-lb scale(!). Extrapolating past the 8-lb point on the RCBS unit, it let go around roughly 9 1/2 lbs. Oh well...thank goodness for the free shipping and service option. Other than the triggers...I'm still impressed. The action body is significantly smaller and less-blocky than the earlier Bobwhite versions I'd seen, and the barrels aren't excessively heavy either, even with the choke tubes ( I had a DeHaan Huglu 20 bore in the late 90s that couldn't make that claim). At the reportedly 7.3 lbs (haven't properly weighed it just yet) it's a pretty serviceable 12-gauge. Once the triggers have been put right, it would be fair to call it the doublegun equivalent of a Remington 870. This gun in 20, at nearer the 6-lb mark could be a fairly serious upland birdgun I suspect.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/04/19 09:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please let us know how the deal turns out when you send it back to get the triggers improved. Glad you like it overall.

Best wishes, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. It's a Christmas present for a rather big 15-year old so...the triggers will likely now have to wait until after the holidays. Reports on CZ's service center in Topeka have been very positive. Might get to use it on January pheasants yet, if we're lucky. Sitting here and just now remembering a Bobwhite in 28 that I actually bought back in the 2013-14 timeframe (before my Dickenson .410/28). It went right back into the shipping case and was returned because it was just so-tanky and poorly balanced IMHO (I had it for only a few hours so I'd almost forgotten it). This one doesn't seem to suffer from those flaws.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/04/19 08:07 PM.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Falling into the FWIW category, I have two vintage Foxes where I got the original work order cards. Both specified trigger pulls of 4 lbs. Both guns were small bores and double trigger guns.

Last edited by tut; 12/04/19 07:58 PM.

foxes rule
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A bit of a follow-up on this post. I contacted CZ after Christmas and they emailed me the FedEx label and return authorization. Work and travel interfered for a bit but I finally got it sent out on January 20th. I asked for 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 pounds of pull, boxed it up and sent it off. FedEx dropped it off at the house today (20 days exactly). Opened it up, assembled it with some snap caps and.....now much better. Good clean breaks with no creep. Don't have a trigger gauge available but I'd guess that they came fairly close. Not bad for zero cost and a 20-day turn. I'm hoping to get it out with my son and try it out sometime next weekend.

Total investment in this now seemingly-respectable 12-bore double is a little under $600. Splinter and straight grip BLNE, two triggers, choke tubes and steel tolerant.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/10/20 07:49 PM.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.