Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used a cheap foaming cleaner from Dollar General on a Browning case and had good results. Spray it on, brush it in. vacume the dry foam out.
bill

bls Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good thread on case cleaning, and worldly education.

I have a leather covered case and the inside green felt is not at all stained. YET it smells HORRIBLY MUSTY. I've tried baking soda, spread over it, left a couple days, and vaccuumed out. No change. I've sprayed lysol into it, no change.

Any ideas?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Any ideas?

Sunshine treatment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had suggested to me that fabric softener sheets that you put into a clothes dryer will absorb unwanted odors. I would also think that storing the case in a dry area with the lid open would eventually help dissipate the odor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl is on the right track with that, as sunshine over time will only result in fading the wool baize. Though fabric softener sheets would likely do it, I prefer keeping a small ventilated, plastic 35 mm film canister containing a few mothballs in each of my gun boxes, as it eliminates any concern over the moths that can eat away your fabric pretty quickly. I don't find the odor objectionable, and at any rate it beats the smell of mold, IMO.

I've been able to find them here in several box stores listed as 'Enoz Old Fashion moth balls'. They contain 99.95% naphthalene as the active ingredient, and should add that they are not sold in the state of California. Just two or three balls in a film container will last for several years in one's gun case before needing replenishment. Best odor/insect protection I can think of.......

Rob

Last edited by Robt. Harris; 11/27/19 01:13 PM. Reason: added info
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cheep Vodka with a good number of lemon or Bergamot essential oil drops added. Well soak a cloth and wipe all internal Baize. Using Vodka is the only way I know to obtain Alcohol that has not been treated with something that makes it taste or smell, the Alcohol does encourage any bacteria to die. As to worldly education and stirring up memories of ill spent youth a few drops of CHANNEL 5 may be, in my case any Helena Rubinstein concoction. Though the Alcohol on its own usually works well though may need a couple of treatments to remove unwanted smells.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.