March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 6" American made Yost on the bench in the garage, got it new a few years back for about $200 shipped when someplace in the Midwest was clearing out stock. UPS guy had a fit.

It's overkill for gun work but some other jobs have necessitated it.

I have a 4" Yost with rear swiveling jaw in the basement for gun work. That's pretty worn out though, have to turn the handle about 3/4 turn before the jaws moves. It's over 50 years old, doubt they have parts for that.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that look from the delivery guy. The Wilton came bolted to a small skid, with a cardboard double wall box around it. The guy grunted it off the truck, and the box looked like they shot it out of a cannon to get it to the truck.
Dude dropped it off at the end of the drive. Wouldnt help me get it to the shop. I was thirty years younger, so it wasnt a big deal.

A 6 vise, built in USA, at two bills, was a great buy. Even a few years ago.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember the excitement when my new Wiburt Versa Vice came....

I believe the cost on it about 25 years ago was close to 2 bills.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was very excited the day I got the notification that my Parker arrived, until I found it in the carport....

Looked more like a Butterball turkey than a box. Thankfully no broken parts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just came back to me that when the 6" Yost was delivered about 4-5 years ago) it came in the factory shipping box. Somewhere along the way it was dropped on the handle which was bent. Yost replaced it though, under warranty.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just came back to me that when the 6" Yost was delivered about 4-5 years ago) it came in the factory shipping box. Somewhere along the way it was dropped on the handle which was bent. Yost replaced it though, under warranty. 118#'s shipping weight..

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont believe a single Yost vise is made in USA at this point. When I bought my Wilton, you could still buy a Starrett Athol vise that was built here, but, that is over now as well.
Pretty much down to the remaining Reed machinists vise on the shelf at Greenshields, Milwaukee Morgans, which Greenshields is the jobber for as well, and Wilton. Only the top end vises from those companies are made in USA.
Ive got a new, 3 1/2 Morgan USA swivel vise coming, will end up on a bench either here, or, at work, depending on what I think of it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Give us a review of that Morgan when it arrives and you've had a chance to put it through the paces

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, couple things to chew on....

The Wilton 3 is a 25 pound vise. The 4 Wilton is 50. There is not a 3 1/2 Wilton. The 3 1/2 Morgan is 35. Those are the weights of the non swivel versions, which, seems to give a better grasp of what you get in a vise. The weight of the swivel is not useful in comparison. But, I sprung for a swivel vise to put on a bench, not on a post. My gut feeling on a vise is if you have two identical jaw widths, with similar opening, the heavier vise is the one you want. As Craig noted, weight spirals off the chart as the size of the vise goes up, and I want a smaller vise, higher on a bench.
Both of the Wiltons are hundreds of dollars more. That doesnt mean a comparable Morgan is cheap, they are not. I expect the Wilton will be a more precise vise, but, will hold judgement until the Morgan is here. I have viewed plenty of older Chicago Morgan vises, the Milwaukee version is identical, but, newer. Better material than the pre 1950s version. With any luck, it will have improved precision of manufacture.

We will see.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted

You've brought up precision in relation to bench vises. Can you please expound on what you mean as far accuracy/precision and why it's important in a bench vise.

Mike

Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.