April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JDH, Argo44, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Just found this in a cookbook published in 1941. Imgur is giving me some trouble today...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/26/19 05:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I look for ramps while turkey hunting in the spring... delicious!!

I don't use mace in my mincemeat recipe anymore. Last time I tried using it it sprayed back in my face when I tried to fill a teaspoon with the nasty stuff....

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 11/26/19 05:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A spray of mace in the face-- sure ain't like Old Spice, is it-Deano?? And being a student of both Latin and the Roman Empire, seems like a mace was a rather nasty club like weapon-- 1941- wonder what spice Co. sold that item, and what it did to enhance the flavor of those minces??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Derived from the nutmeg tree found in warm climates, mace is the bright red, lace-like covering of the nutmeg seed shell. Mace is primarily found in ground form because it is much easier to use than the whole form, which can be difficult to crush. Because they are produced from the same tree, mace and nutmeg feature very similar flavor profiles, although mace is more pungent. Mace is often described as tasting like a combination of cinnamon and black pepper due to its spicy-sweetness. It is commonly used in baking, but works well in a variety of recipes ranging from sweet to savory.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Yet another variant, British I believe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i9qs7CLeQQ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Enjoying the discussion about mincemeat and learning far more than I thought possible.

Re: mace. Just try finding some in your local supermarket. I hit 3 this afternoon looking for some and came up empty. 73 kinds of chicken rubs and no mace.

Re: oatmeal. One of my favorite things to do with oatmeal (and farina, too) is to chop up a couple strips of candied orange peel and maybe some raisins and throw that in. Makes a world of difference, turning a good breakfast into a great one. I candy my own orange peels, so nothing from the fruit goes to waste.
I do something similar with yams for Thanksgiving dinner. Start off making caramel from white sugar in the saucepan, then add the canned yams and their syrup, then add some chopped candied orange peel, raisins and slices of orange.

But for the real stick to the ribs winter breakfast, there are plum dumplings. Make them around Labor Day when the prune plums come in, then freeze them. Come winter, microwave one or two and add a little cream. Stay warm from the inside out, all day.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd thanks for that 'Tube link.
Great little piece

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Tinker: You're welcome. It was interesting for me to note that the chef in that one couldn't eat his final production as he, like me, is gluten intolerant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, you can add nuts and nut oil in lieu of suet.
Its no longer a storage mechanism as much as a holiday treat.
I like chopped walnuts in it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Tinker: You're welcome. It was interesting for me to note that the chef in that one couldn't eat his final production as he, like me, is gluten intolerant.

I noticed that.
I'd read quite a bit about using acorn for flour.
I don't recall if it would be suitable for pie crust, but it's worth a look.

We mill flour here. Have you tried sourcing non-gmo organic wheat and milling your own flour? I've heard that some gluten intolerant folks have found that they can do fine, without bad reactions, with clean non-gmo wheat flour.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.