March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Watched it for the first time last night with Mae- she's not a big fan of the late Jim Harrison, Michigan based author: "Legends of the Fall" etc. The Mexico area based story he wrote "Revenge" is a novella- and actor Kevin Costner directed and starred, along with Anthony Quinn, in the movie production.

What struck me as strange, as Quinn's character, El Tiburon- "Tibby", a wealthy Mexican drug load, sent a pair of double shotguns, as a retirement gift, to the USAF base where Costner's character, a retired 'Nam era Phantom pilot, was based- Costner was also, in the movie, a tennis "hustler"-- and unlike the movie script, he met "Tibby" on a tennis court, and did not save him from a near fatal hunting accident.

When Costner gets to Tibby's ranch, he has the two guns in slip cases, and later on in the dialogue, Tibby tells him: "We will plan a trip to Italy, and get those fitted properly" Costner hasn't yet shot them-- Just wondering why a wealthy Mexican drug "kingpin" would order doubleguns from Italy, and not from Spain?

Anyone care to venture a guess?? Also, in the novella, Costner's dog is a female English Setter named "Doll"- not the yellow Lab as shown in the movie-- details, details, details-- Also, FYI- Tiburon is Spanish for shark- and the late actor Anthony Quinn is not of Greek origin, as it might seem from his role in the movie:"The Guns of Navarone"- He was born in Spain- El Zorro

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A real revenge is Auburn 48 vs Alabama 45( sorry about the ot guys, just a chance to get a "War Eagle" into the conversation).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harrison, along with others, Hunter S. Thompson, etc, was the kind of writer that seemed to think it was important for the reader to know how much and what kinds of illicit drugs they had been taking that week.
Those were the kinds of writers that, having read that, I immediately lost interest in their work, and quit reading.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe yes, maybe no, oh Tedster from the North Country. Jim loved grouse and woodcock hunting with his Setters-and he had a 12 ga. Purdey, somewhat like that GBE inherited from Dr. Norris (back in the day)--Most folks don't know this, but when Jim arrived in Hollywood, to promote his novellas for motion picture production- he was almost broke- He borrowed 15 large from Jack Nicholson, repaid that loan in cash plus a "Vig" (amount unknown) and became from that a close friend of Jack-- That act makes him a true "stand-up guy" in my book--RWTF

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So much for the concept that Nick Sabin can "walk on water"-like the late "Bear Bryant" apparently did--RWTF

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I may be primarily of English and Scottish descent but, if I had the money and was buying a gift of a matched pair of guns, that doesn't mean I would automatically buy them from an English maker. Suggesting Quinn's character wouldn't buy guns from an Italian firm, that he should have bought from a Spanish firm, makes no sense.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, a better result would have been for both Saban and Gus to have lost. I thought Saban was going to have a stroke at the end of the half and game. Go Dawgs. wink Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It wasn't my train of thought- I was mainly concerned about Quinn's Character in the Movie buying a pair of double guns for a friend and tennis doubles partner, w/o having his basic dimensions for the maker to work from, and then taking the finished guns over to Italy for the fitting- after the fact, so to speak, made no sense to me. Of course, I have never owned either a matched pair of English/European mfg. shotguns-most likely never will-RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

neva mind quinn an cosner...watt bout madiline stowe? sum times ah wunder bout youse guys..

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No need to be concerned, Eddie B. Goode-I fell in love with Madeline Stowe when she co-starred with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland in "The Great Train Robbery"-- I'd take her to anywhere she wanted in Italy for a "fitting" or two--Wowser, Wowser, Wowser-- RWTF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.