April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, SKB, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 430 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good news, that. You and your son were right, the cop was in error-glad you won. Best line ever describing cops (Not Staties, however)came from old chicken-struttin' Rolling Stones front man-Mich Jagger- "Sympathy For The Devil"-- "Just like every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners Saints!"-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a speeding scenario- but FWIWIP-- this past Sept- Mae and I visited Niagara Falls, from the Canadian side--then went over the big bridge to the USA- upper NY State- beautiful-- somewhere en route to Gettysburg PA- we went through one of those toll gates, where if you have an E-Z-pass thingy on the front upper windshield (prepaid annually I would guess) you are clear, but if not, they have a camera that gets your rear license plate- and they mail you a ticket, and give you 30 days to mail in your payment.

We returned before duck season in Oct- around Halloween time, we got the ticket with the amount due via mail, from Albany-if memory serves- $1.00 flat= That's right, sportsfans, one whole greenback. We promptly sent in a check in that amount, with the required .50 stamp affixed. I'm not complaining about the $1.50- but what does it cost NY State to install, photograph and then mail out the tickets, against the expense of such high-tech equipment? Just wonderin', is all! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/12/19 09:55 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Delaware has several towns which were notorious for being speed traps. On went from 55-45-35-25 in a 3/4 mile stretch and back up to 55 in likewise steps after a stoplight in between. And they strictly enforced the speed limit. If you were not going exactly the posted speed limit or less until you reached the next speed sign they wrote you up. So just because you could see a sign for a bit higher speed you could not speed up until you got even or past the sign. A lot of people got nailed on that.

One town was so bad they had 20 mph zones then 25, then 30. One mph was enough to get you a ticket. And the money was divided up between the court and the town(police) so no conflict there. For all I know they are all still speed traps.

AAA use to warn members which towns were traps, when you used their trip map services. They had flip up maps which were bound at the top. Each speed trap
would be colored in purple. When family was coming in from out of state, I always sent them a trip map, with the highlighted speed traps. Better that than hear them [censored] about a ticket for the entire visit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old joke about those infamous speed traps- Travelling salesman gets assigned to rural Nebraska- trying to find Cozad, he gets off 80 and finds himself driving some back 2 lane roads- drives 50, as he has yet to see a speed limit sign anywhere- Cop pulls him over, with his car wearing out-of-state plates, writes him a ticket for going 10 mph over the limit-- "But Officer, the salesman exclaims, I didn't see any speed limit signs in the past 25 miles- what gives?"" "Oh well, shoot- the County wantes to save money, so we did away with them- everybody 'round this neck of the woods knows its 45-- so we don't need signs!" Right--

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Got a letter in the mail today from the State of Iowa presenting me with a speeding ticket from some camera speed trap somewhere near Des Moines.

Cost me 65$.

I don't even know if I was driving when the picture was taken.

They'll probably send me another shakedown threatening to tell my insurance company if I don't take their online "Driver responsibility" class for a couple hundred more.

Brown's probably behind this.

That's only my current alias. smile Seriously, they got me that way once. As Brent pointed out, coming into Cedar Rapids there used to be a notorious speed camera where the limit dropped. Got a lot of people. It was my understanding they were supposed to pull that one.

A couple years ago, I was involved in an accident down there. Properly reported to the police, who came and took statements, etc. Showed the officer my license, insurance, etc . . . went on my merry way. A couple months later, I got a nasty letter from the Iowa DOT that they were going to suspend my license because they hadn't received proof of insurance. This all happened in a rural county, and I got copies of the accident report from the county sheriff. I called the DOT and told them the accident report verified my current insurance status. The rude young lady cut me off and said "We never look at those." At which point I said "Then why does it say, at the top of the report, "Copy to DOT"? I did think it was funny that they were going to suspend my Wisconsin driver's license . . . but, as it turned out, something fell through the cracks with my insurance company. They got it all straightened out, and I got a nice email from the Iowa DOT confirming that I was no longer a fugitive from justice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It's Ludowici"
Been there Stan, but it was back in the 1950s & 60s. was driving either a Deuce & a Half or a 3/4 ton when there & we were never bothered.

The small town of Jasper, TN, located on US 41 used to be a notorious speed trap. Some folks from Lynchburg had been to Chattanooga for a convention & were coming home around 2:00 AM & were ticketed for breaking a "School Zone" 15MPH limit. The opening of I-24 pretty much put them out of business.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember our GA governor at the time, Lester Maddox put up a billboard adjacent to the city limit sign in Ludowici warning motorists of the speedtrap...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few of used to tear up the backroads from New Bern to Wilmington on the weekends.

https://youtu.be/_od3vnSJPOk

Only got caught once. (that was enough)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Two of the most notorious Speed Traps on 301, headed south from I-10 towards Gainesville (cut over t0 Gainesville at Waldo). The Waldo police essentially funded themselves by terrorizing drivers. Lawtey had this sign up for 20 years. I believe Waldo police department was disbanded and the county sheriff is now responsible for law and order...which has improved since the 10 man police department with 8 cruisers was ousted. Lawtey recently negotiated with AAA to have the sign removed. The idea of "ticket-quotas" is repulsive but is very wide-spread. Even in a Progressive utopia such as Fairfax County, the County Board starts worrying if ticket revenues fall.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/13/19 01:03 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Im surprised that none of the readers here picked up on this point.

Its an automatically generated ticket, produced by a machine, attached to a vehicle, sent to the vehicles owner, with the presumption of guilt, all done by a third-party,
All done by a third-party that gets a cut of the proceeds.
People should be out raged.
Im guessing that they keep the price tag of the ticket slow, so that people arent out raged, and Out-of-staters like myself just plead guilty and pay them.
It wouldnt surprise me if the AI thats running the camera looks for out-of-state plates intentionally.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.