March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Teds response to Jim

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I’d be very concerned about getting the broken swivel mount repaired. By tightening only one side, you are risking breaking the swivel mount. The vise needs to be fastened properly, from both sides, when it is tightened down in position.

Best,
Ted

Is this another example of Ted not knowing what's he's looking at ?

BingO'

Ted you remind me of the pesky little mutt that likes to hunch on one's leg.

Don't yOu tire of getting kicked ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some have one, some have two. If you have a broken one, it needs to be fixed. It isn’t hard to do, and I’ve been in plenty of shops where an easily repaired tool is left broken, until it gets worse, or, somebody gets hurt.

jOe, why don’t you concentrate on that subject you understand so well, exercise? Vise and vise mounting don’t seem to be something you understand.

Jim, I haven’t really beat on a vise. I have a small anvil, and a 4” round of some sort of alloy steel that get used for beating on. Accurate love taps can be administered on a vise. If the mount is solid, that is all you are likely to need.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Picked this big anvil up the other day at a neighbors estate sale...Made in the Memphis forge at International Harvestor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I haven’t really beat on a vise.

I beat on something I was holding in a Versa Vice 30+ years ago....broke it.

Told my Gunsmith about it he asked if he could have it I said sure.
Next time I saw it Ed Mason had welded the cast metal back together and I'm pretty sure he used it until he died.

A vice is not made to be beaten or for holding things while you beat on them.

Don't think for one minute that even the biggest baddest looking vise can't be broken.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked this big anvil up the other day...Made in the Memphis forge at International Harvestor.

That must be at least a 5 pounder!

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

4 incher....for two dollars I couldn't pass it up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m a sucker for quality made tools; at one point and time in this country a quality bench vise was considered a basic and essential tool that no man should be without, even if he had to clamp it to the coffee table.

It seems like modern society has lost the respect for quality. Growing up in the 60’s, it was all about quality…”we make the best”, and manufacturers competed to build the best. In today’s society, it all about cost… “We’ll beat anyone’s prices”, “nobody sells for less” it’s a race to the bottom.

Back when I first started equipping my shop, I had an imported vise, lasted about a year before the casting cracked. I started looking for an older American made vise, couldn’t find one to save my life (pre EBay, craigslist etc.). Finally a friend found me a vintage (mid 1940s) 4 inch Columbian swivel vise... since then I find them everywhere….quite often they come home with me…. Fortunately have a very understanding wife, she doesn’t understand my addition to old guns and tools, but accepts it with a half roll of the eyes.

I’ve given away quite a few to friends; friends don’t let friends use crappy vises.

In my shop… a 4 ˝ inch Reed is my daily use vise, my son has the Columbian, and there’s another 4 ˝ inch Reed for “dirty work” hack sawing, heavy filing etc.

There’s a 5 inch Parker, sitting on the shelf in the back of the shop, I really don’t have a use for it, but I like it too much to part with it. A 5 inch Reed is my farm vise, as noted before, it’s mounted to a steel pole, with a semi-truck brake drum full of concrete as the base, must weigh around 250 lbs… My son uses it for blacksmithing and I use It for repairing farm equipment out in the fields… move it around with the tractor.

Two Reeds in the garage… a 4 ˝ inch and a 4 inch.

Got a few of “Spare” vises that I picked up recently… A 4 inch Reed on a swivel base, a 4 inch American Scale & Vise Co. fixed base, and a Wilton Tradesman vise.

So all in all about a dozen vises, and I’m still looking for a 6, 8 or 9 inch Reed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The big Reeds don't turn up that often. I've seen quite a few Prentiss vises in that size.
I hesitate, even when I see one of those 8" vises at a great price. You still have to get the thing from where it is, to where it needs to be.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup... 6 inch Reed: 130 lbs, 8 inch; 250 lbs, no clue on a 9 inch... saw a pic of a 13 inch: 1400+ Lbs.

Gots forklift and trailer... will travel smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I haven’t really beat on a vise.

I beat on something I was holding in a Versa Vice 30+ years ago....broke it.

Told my Gunsmith about it he asked if he could have it I said sure.
Next time I saw it Ed Mason had welded the cast metal back together and I'm pretty sure he used it until he died.

A vice is not made to be beaten or for holding things while you beat on them.

Don't think for one minute that even the biggest baddest looking vise can't be broken.

So, you finally fess up, and tell us how an ass clown broke one of his clown vises, in a post where you are trying to convince us those clown vises are the best possible vise to consider?

This is rich. I couldn’t have made this up. In a post where some were lamenting the lack of quality, American made tools ( ignoring the fact that Morgan, Reed, and Wilton will happily sell you, through a jobber, NOT Lowe’s, a brand new American vise, as good a vise as can be built) you come through and describe how you busted your toy, And, you think they should buy a toy just like your toy, except the toy they get now comes packed full of questionable Chinese parts.

Whole lot of stupid. Do you read what you post?

Best,
Ted

Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.