March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 310 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a 16 gauge model 31 pump that drops a loaded shell out of the bottom when I pump it.
This only happens when I'm on the range shooting. I try it when I'm home with dummy shells and it works perfectly every time. I try it by pumping slowly and fast with the gun tipped at an angle and it works perfectly. At the skeet field it drops a shell every time.
Does anyone have any Ideas?
Thanks, Pete

Last edited by sxsman1; 12/17/19 02:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Timing issue?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Measure the OD of the rim on the snap caps and the OD of the ammo you are using.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be crud packed in between the receiver and the action bars that keeps them from catching the rim. A good dismantle and clean often does wonders on a repeater.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd look at the cartridge stops.
This is a somewhat common problem on Mod31's that have seen some use.
Some drop the shell as a loaded round is chambered/action closed.
Some drop a round when the gun is fired (recoil)

The 31 uses 2 cart stops.

IIRC it's the Left side cart stop that gives the trouble.
It lets a round skip by as the action is closed and the round just dumps out onto the ground.
(Might have my L & R mixed up,,and when you look at the thing upside down remember that it's reversed again).

The Right side cart stop holds the shells back inside the mag while the feeding and chambering is going on.
Then when the bolt is closed and locked,,that Right side Cart Stop releases and allows the ammo in the tube to run forward only to be caught by the Left side cart stop.
There it holds that first round ready for the carrier to accept it when the action is pumped again.

If the edge of that Left side stop is worn or otherwise not catching the rim of the hull, that round skips by the Stop and lands on the ground.
This all takes place in a moment as you are chambering the fresh round in the chamber,,,one in the chamber,,one onto the ground from the magazine.

You can shop around and usually buy a replacement cartridge stop.
-They are gauge specific.
The Model 31 made some changes in some internal parts as the mfg'g went along. I don't know if they changed the cartridge stops at all.

-You will most likely get a worn part from a 'parts guy' as that is where they come from now. Worn out guns stripped for parts.

-You can take the cart stop out and carefully bend the tip outward just a few .000 to give it a better reach into the mag. That will usually fix the problem just as well.
I've seen them built up on the tip w/ weld and reshaped. That seems like over-kill to me when a simple bend will do.
Unless you like to demonstrate welding skills, or the part tip is broken off all together, I'd just put a bend in it.

Hulls that have a rim dia just a few .000 smaller in dia can also show the problem.
Especially in a gun that has some wear in it as above. But perhaps not enough when a different brand is used.

Hope this helps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Darn! Kutter, you are an encyclopedia of info. Thanks for being here!

So many guns, so little time!
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks very much to all who replied, I'm going to take Kutter's suggestion, it seems to fit the situation.
I have had it apart and cleaned it several times.
Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.