March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, canvasback, 3 invisible), 804 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I imagine most on here hunt upland with their classic American, English or European doubles, but I was wondering how many of you are avid duck hunters like me. For years I hunted upland and ducks with a 1907 DS grade Lefever. My gunsmith said it was a hell for stout gun so I shot 1 1/4 oz high base bismuth game loads out of it without thinking about it.

Problem was I was an inconsistent shot with it compared to my over-under. It turns out, after having the gun checked by a stock maker and pattering the gun, I shot way left with it. I went to the trouble and expense of having the stock bent, but when it still shot left after its return I sold it and moved on.

This year I decided to get back into old classic dude by sides. Before the season I found a nice field grade 12 ga. L.C. Smith feather weight with 28” barrels that weighs 6.6 pounds. I hit well with it, but it’s a little light for waterfowl, perfect pheasant gun though. So now I’m looking at a nice Fox AE, 30” full and full, reasonable stock dimensions 7#_6oz. I’m thinking that would be a nice waterfowl gun. It would get hunted 20-30 times a year. I plan on using 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz RST bismuth out of it. What do you think? Is that pushing it too hard?

My hunting buddy has used a Suhl side by side from the 30s that is probably a stronger gun, but he shoots regukar 2-2/3” steel shot out of it no problem. The seller of the Fox thought the stock would be the weak link in this equation, he thinks the action and barrels are no problem.

And Merry Christmas everybody.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If the Fox stock is sound you are likely fine using that gun with those loads. Most American doubles have digested thousands of rounds like those you mention. Sounds like a great waterfowl gun if you shoot it well. Merry Christmas to you as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems reasonable to me.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Fox, if it is tight and on face, and the wood in the head isn't damaged or oil soaked too badly, should handle those loads fine. Imperative also is to make certain the bores have not been honed beyond a very few thousandths, and that there is no bad pitting in the chambers or near the breech end of the barrels.

I hunt ducks with Foxes and hand loaded bismuth every year, and my load is hotter than the RSTs, but that's my call, determined by the condition of my guns and the pressures of the load. Personally, I like a heavier gun that the one you're looking at, for most waterfowling, but that's another personal thing. All my vintage duck guns weigh from 8/2 to 9/6. The old 30" BSS, while not a vintage gun IMO, is lighter at 7/11. All of these have used 1 1/4 oz. duck loads with no issues, other than having to shim the hook on the BSS from so much use.

Merry CHRISTmas to you, too.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For SITTING in the duck blind, I sometimes use my Ithaca NID 10 gauge or my L.C. Smith quality 2 10 gauge,
The NID is too heavy for me to carry far smile
What fun!

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/23/19 11:01 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to take my BSA 3" Magnum. I had the left barrel bored out to half choke so as I can use 2 3/4" Steel loads as well as 3" Eley Bismuth that is O.K. with the older English 3" nitro proof. Lagopus…..

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, upland and waterfowl with my sixteengauge 1959 Zoli sxs. My waterfowl loads are hand loaded #5 bismuth, 50% of which are spreader loads due to my tightly choked gun.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the FWIW column my handloads are about 31 grs of Blue Dot with 1.25 oz of Bi (this from memory, so check your books). They are my go to load for both pheasants and ducks. And did right well in a pinch with a Canada as well, though I have #2s for that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with doubles all the time.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When Ivory Beads was in business, Jim Thynne told me that he thought the Fox Sterlingworth was the best of the American classics for waterfowling with steel shot. So a Fox A Grade should be fine with proper condition and chokes, whether steel or bismuth.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.