April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, SKB), 811 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Went for a little walk today. I was surprised when a Dove flushed from thick grass right at the water's edge.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Will and I went out today, it was a nice, but cool sunny day (this will end soon, supposed to get another winter storm this weekend!). Anyway, Will got one and I didn't connect, should have had one, but oh well! Addie did well today, her quartering is much better and she's starting to air scent more. In time, I think she'll do very well.

Will used his 16ga Sauer Royal

Will and Addie

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Note shirt under guns and birds.  We decided to try to penetrate an old clear cut riddled with walls of briers.  That's a Dan's Brier Shirt; stiff, hot, but wearing it and Dan's Brier Gloves is better than bleeding.  It helped get to one bird; Floyd stayed on the firebreak.  I got behind Sadie with Abby backing and when the bird got up, I shouldered my gun and raised it upwards.  My hat snagged briers and covered my eyes.  I'd being lying if I said this was the first time this has happened.  Unfortunately, it didn't cover my mouth as I lit up the woods.  Floyd thought it entertaining judging from  his laughter.   We found 5 birds and couldn't get to 3 of them because it would have taken a bangalore torpedo to penetrate the briers and we didn't have one.
SC birds; Ithaca SKB 20's

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan's products are "hell for stout". My pair of Dan's snake proof briar chaps look just like they did 7-8 years ago when new. Stiff.......... but tough.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got the pup to the hunting property over Christmas where he was introduced to gunfire, his training collar, water (ran into a shallow pond and then stopped dead in his tracks, looked at dad, and said "what do I do now?!), and birds in the mouth. He is a natural, and will get professional training - he deserves it.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great Dog photo!

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good pics. Pups do not naturally like to retrieve doves because they tend to lose a lot of feathers into the dog's mouth, more so than many other game birds. Actually, he doesn't look too happy about it, either. grin

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, for him it's actually a look of nonchalance. He, like Cocoa before him, is patient while dad takes his photo. He was off running around when I shot the bird (it was his first time at the hunting property, hunting, etc., so I was cutting him some slack). I called him over when I shot the bird, and let him find it. I then made him sit, made him stay while I tossed the bird, and in two tosses had it down pretty well. Froze the bird overnight, and then tossed it a few more times to get him starting to learn to have a soft mouth, the frozen bird keeping the dog from biting down. He's a fast study, all legs and energy/enthusiasm. Even pointed his first pheasant- there is/was a game preserve to our south, and he came across the remains of a pen raised rooster that a coyote had dispatched. He locked up and from a distance I could see a wing. He's got great genetics.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

We got a couple today. The snow really helped. Gus likes blind retrieves.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, those colors are spectacular against the snowy background. Cocoa had a few of those blind retrieves, where you just knew there had to be a dog somewhere under all that bird.

Mike

Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.