March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 2 invisible), 367 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#561962 01/05/20 12:23 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As there appears to be some interest, I thought I would give an update on the current state of our gun laws post the Christchurch terror attack.
I apologise if this is somewhat off topic but if you have no interest please just ignore this post.

No great surprise, in the main they are an ill thought out, rushed, knee jerk reaction that tends to target the law abiding not the criminals.
We are still in a state of flux with the new laws being implemented and interpreted, and a tranche of more laws going through parliament as we speak.

OK, as we stand ATM:

A category licence (the majority of the shooting population) you can own and use:
Bolt action, lever, and pump centrefire rifles, internal or detachable magazine with a maximum capacity of 10 rounds.
Semi and pump shotguns, no detachable magazines and limited to 5 rounds capacity (based on chamber size)
.22s of various actions including semi auto limited to 10 rounds.
Security: a regular gun safe or locked cabinet to deter casual burglar or children.
You must attend a firearms safety course, pass a multi question test, have next of kin and referee interviews conducted and be of generally good character.
Renewed every 10 years, no limit on numbers.

B endorsement.
Pistols of various descriptions for different shooting disciplines.
You must be a member of a registered pistol club, and maintain 12 visits a year.
You can only take said pistols from your home to the range and they must only be fired at the range.
Limited to I think 12 pistols, but exemptions can be granted.
Police arms officer will visit annually, and all B endorsed pistols are registered and checked then.
Security is much greater, police approved safes or strong rooms only.

C endorsement
Collectors, the same as B , but you do not need to be a member of a pistol club, however you cannot fire said pistols.
No limit on numbers.

P endorsed licence:
Everything that has now been banned above.
Must be disabled by removing a vital part (firing pin) and stored off premise.
You may be granted a P for some commercial pest control, otherwise if you own them under a P you cannot fire them, much like a C.
This category is new, and there is still much interpretation going on.
Security at the moment same as B and C.

D endorsement:
Dealer of firearms, can stock everything above.

As it stands registration is limited to B, C, and P, however the next tranche wants to register all firearms via an online system which you update yourself.
Not sure how that will work, and is something we are obviously appealing.
Also they are looking at 5 year licences, with tougher criteria to get one.

Anyhow, thats a basic run down as it stands.

GDU.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its my understanding that with 52,000 guns turned in by the deadline, compliance is pretty low so far. Whats the expectation of the governments response to that civil disobedience?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup. Would you have an idea what the typical cost for your "A" and "B" licenses are? What sort of time delay do you folks face when setting up the various interviews or site visits.

I ask because it seems to me that there are multiple steps in the process that can be used in various ways to make the process discouraging for the average law abiding citizen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gregdownunder

.....B endorsement.
You must be a member of a registered pistol club, and maintain 12 visits a year.
You can only take said pistols from your home to the range and they must only be fired at the range.
Police arms officer will visit annually, and all B endorsed pistols are registered and checked then.

C endorsement
Collectors, the same as B , but you do not need to be a member of a pistol club, however you cannot fire said pistols.
No limit on numbers.

P endorsed licence:
You may be granted a P for some commercial pest control, otherwise if you own them under a P you cannot fire them, much like a C.

As it stands registration is limited to B, C, and P, however the next tranche wants to register all firearms via an online system which you update yourself......

Thank you Gregdownunder. The conflict about gun laws and gun registration in New Zealand arose right after the shooting at Christchurch. I mentioned that gun registration in New Zealand obviously did nothing to prevent that massacre. Stevie SKB, the guy who uses this forum for free advertising of his businesses, jumped in to say I was wrong, and that there is/was (at that point in time) NO GUN REGISTRATION IN NEW ZEALAND.

I corrected him and reminded him that all pistols are registered, and I told him that all Military Style Semi Automatic (MSSA) firearms required a special permit, i.e., another word for registration.

To support his erroneous and false position, Stevie posted a link to a N.Y. Post article that used data from the anti-gunner Philip Alpers and his anti-gun organization GunPolicy.org

Unfortunately, this may ignite another shit-storm. Stevie will call me a liar. And then I will posts direct unedited quotes and links to old threads that prove I am not lying. Stevie's Liberal pals will then try to pile on me for bringing politics to the forum, but they will never complain when he does it. In other words... Just business as usual.

Thanks again. I wish you guys all luck in retaining whatever right or privilege to own and shoot firearms that you possibly can. Unfortunately, we have a lot of liberals here who are blind to the slippery slope of permitting anti-gunners to incrementally take away our rights and freedoms. These guys think that if we give the anti-gunners things like semi-autos, pistols, large cap magazines, etc., that they will stop there, and never threaten other firearm ownership rights. So they are dumb enough to actually support and vote for extreme anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats who infringe upon our Constitutional 2nd Amendment Rights.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thank You Gregg.

This link covers the back and forth between myself and Keith on the subject. Read through to see him repeatedly caught lying.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=545822&page=1

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Its my understanding that with 52,000 guns turned in by the deadline, compliance is pretty low so far. Whats the expectation of the governments response to that civil disobedience?

While the Government is hailing it a success, the reality is yes there are tens of thousands of guns which once were above board and have now gone underground.
Most expect the police to come down hard and make a few public examples, but at the end of the day the net result is an actual increase in now illegal firearms the police have lost control over.
In other words, a failure.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup. Would you have an idea what the typical cost for your "A" and "B" licenses are? What sort of time delay do you folks face when setting up the various interviews or site visits.

I ask because it seems to me that there are multiple steps in the process that can be used in various ways to make the process discouraging for the average law abiding citizen.

It was around $200 to apply, with a total timeframe of 6-8 months for approval to come through.
However this was heavily subsidised, with the current govt making it clear its user pays from here on in, so I expect it will get a lot more costly and complicated to obtain and keep a firearms licence.
There is also talk of a fee every time you register a new gun, which will quickly add up for us collectors.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Gregdownunder

.....B endorsement.

C endorsement
No limit on numbers.

P endorsed licence:

As it stands registration is limited to B, C, and P, however the next tranche wants to register all firearms via an online system which you update yourself......

Thank you Gregdownunder. The conflict about gun laws and gun registration in New Zealand arose right after the shooting at Christchurch. I mentioned that gun registration in New Zealand obviously did nothing to prevent that massacre. Stevie SKB, the guy who uses this forum for free advertising of his businesses, jumped in to say I was wrong, and that there is/was (at that point in time) NO GUN REGISTRATION IN NEW ZEALAND.

I corrected him and reminded him that all pistols are registered, and I told him that all Military Style Semi Automatic (MSSA) firearms required a special permit, i.e., another word for registration.

To support his erroneous and false position, Stevie posted a link to a N.Y. Post article that used data from the anti-gunner Philip Alpers and his anti-gun organization GunPolicy.org

Unfortunately, this may ignite another shit-storm. Stevie will call me a liar. And then I will posts direct unedited quotes and links to old threads that prove I am not lying. Stevie's Liberal pals will then try to pile on me for bringing politics to the forum, but they will never complain when he does it. In other words... Just business as usual.

Thanks again. I wish you guys all luck in retaining whatever right or privilege to own and shoot firearms that you possibly can. Unfortunately, we have a lot of liberals here who are blind to the slippery slope of permitting anti-gunners to incrementally take away our rights and freedoms. These guys think that if we give the anti-gunners things like semi-autos, pistols, large cap magazines, etc., that they will stop there, and never threaten other firearm ownership rights. So they are dumb enough to actually support and vote for extreme anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats who infringe upon our Constitutional 2nd Amendment Rights.

Thanks for your well wishes, it is certainly looking a little grim.
Our best hope at the moment is a change of govt.
Phillip Alpers is no expert on anything, he has just found a soapbox to stand on.
He was a left leaning reporter here in NZ before he left to become a self professed "expert" I'm not sure he is an actual professor either, just honorary.

Yes pistols and MSSA's were registered, of course the latter are now banned.
An interesting thing, you could own a MSSA here before under an A cat licence, but if you had a magazine over 10 rounds you needed an endorsement, effectively meaning it had to be registered.
The net effect of this was once banned, police knew who had the endorsed rifles, but no idea on those kept under an "A" licence.
You are correct the anti gun left will not stop, they will chisel away claiming this and that needs looking at, but ultimately their agenda is a disarmed public.
When the Christchurch shooting happened, the green party (who are actually in power under a coalition govt) wanted to simply ban all firearms!
Luckily even their coalition partners realised this would be a step too far, but it shows how dangerous the greens can be.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You may find it interesting to know, while it generally takes some months to obtain a firearms licence, the Christchurch shooter (a foreign national) obtained one in a record 5 weeks.
Police failed to do the required background checks, never contacted next of kin, and his referees were from some online forum who had never met him!
Other than obviously the shooter himself, the police were squarely to blame for this by not following their own process.
However this has largely been covered up, and I'm not holding my breath the royal commission enquiry will enlighten the public either.
It is indeed a sad state of affairs, the shooter stated that he chose firearms over a bomb or other means of mass killing as he wanted to create maximum societal discord, something he has achieved in spades.
I do not understand why it is so hard for those in power to see the problem is the person, not the tool.
No amount of ill conceived laws impinging on the rights of the law abiding will make us any safer, when the true criminals are laughing all the way to their next crime.

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the accurate and updated information on your struggle for freedom and rights. And it is both, for without the rights, the freedom will disappear.

Your last sentence should hang over the doors of every legislative institution ......

"No amount of ill conceived laws impinging on the rights of the law abiding will make us any safer, when the true criminals are laughing all the way to their next crime."

Bet to you, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.