Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone needs to stand up for the Yoopers - Hesperia is in the lower peninsula, in fact it is closer to Indiana and Ohio than the U.P.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gregsy you have been staying up too late watching the late night horror flicks. Vampire bats do exist as a specific breed in Central America (they feed on cattle and goat blood mostly)and do not exist in USA let alone Michigan and Georgia. Bats are far to nimble and have excellent navigation to get caught up in women's hair. That is an old wives tale. It is true bats being mammals are susceptible to rabies and a few humans have gotten rabies from them. (only ones I have heard about were scientists working in caves doing research on bats.) Dogs are a greater rabies threat by far but we don't shoot them for sport.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chicago
Someone needs to stand up for the Yoopers - Hesperia is in the lower peninsula, in fact it is closer to Indiana and Ohio than the U.P.

I know where Hisperia is. I know where the UP is. For years I owned land 35 miles north of Gladstone. Would go up hunting and fishing on a regular basis. Had a lot of grouse on the property.

Pete
quando omni flunkus moriati - Red Green

Sidelock
Sidelock

"As with most wildlife species in Georgia, bats are protected by state law. It is illegal to intentionally capture, kill, or harm any of the sixteen species found in the state."

Mike Hobbs,
USFWS Georgia Ecological Services
706 613-9493 x236

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, right there on page 8 of the current GA hunting regulations under "protected species". I never could hit the dang things anyhow...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

ChiefShotguns, I have heard a lot about Calloway Gardens and how magnificent it is. You just happen to be in an area where there is a great concentration of bats. Here in northeastern Pa, we see them flying mostly at dusk becasue that is when they come out. Close by here there is a small population that live in a place called Crystal Cave it houses about 35,000 Little Brown Bats. I don't want to say that you haven't seen bats take buterflies, but they are usually out at different times of the day in this climate. There is a good site to learn about this mammals. http://members.aol.com/bats4kids2/myths.htm

Last edited by JDW; 09/11/07 02:48 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Children Of The Night

Being of Transylvanian decent I am partial to all the creatures of the night. Our 5 giant Norway Spruce are home to a great many bats. Thanks to the bats, frogs, snakes, birds and other insect eaters we are mosquito free ...... somewhat unusual for a creek-side home.

Al (Vlad)

I don't drink ....... wine!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief, they did come down pretty heavy on you. Seems like everybody gets a turn in the barrel around here. Least little thing'll set'em off. I'm guilty of it as anyone. Sometimes though a "hot-button" gets mashed and a fast, indignant and anonymous reply gets posted that wouldn't get said face to face...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo.
How hard would you come down on someone who sits around a pond blasting ducks out of season for the shear joy of seeing them fall?

Not that it makes much difference to you perhaps, but bats tend to live a couple decades or more. Recreational killing is not replaced overnight. Besides, it is just plain unethical for most of us.

It is what it is - ugly and a crime.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=BrentD]

"Not that it makes much difference to you perhaps, but bats tend to live a couple decades or more."

Brent
[/quote

Not if they eat the chief's butterflies! You're wrong about me though, I like bats..Geo

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.