March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't seem to pinpoint the model # of this SXS to estimate value. Please help.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun looks to have intercepting sears.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a post war gun( Dec 195?), so would have post war model.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, that's a 1954(December) Sauer Modell >>Kim<< offering. By 1958/1959 it was to be the staple workhorse platform in 16 & 20 bore. 12 bore was available in 1958 and by 1959 the 12 bore was an option warranting an extra fee & I think it may have been equipped with ejectors & a single trigger. Typically though, post WWII Sauers had the Modell Nr. stamped on the aft lug? For now I have no idea how the Sauer Modell Nr. >>Kim<< / >>Sauer Kim<< acquired its name but it was an effort to utilize the Kerner - Anson overhanging scear platform of the Sauer Modell Nr. 8(pre WWII or post WWII??) and lower the cost by eliminating the Greener Crossbolt & sideclips. At the time, they gave that although they had eliminated the Greener Crossbolt that they had maintained the same strength / lockup by beefing up the underlugs???? They stated that the Brits had abandoned the Greener Crossbolt & they wished to follow suit.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the late 1950s it was advertised for around $160 U.S. of A.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

quote=ellenbr]Ah, that's a 1954(December) Sauer Modell >>Kim<< offering. By 1958/1959 it was to be the staple workhorse

So I am trying to ID it for the estate of a deceased friend .
I am trying to ID it in the Blue Book to get an estimated value
Is it a Model 60 ?
If I cannot positively ID it in the Blue Book I need some kind of estimated value.
Thank you,
Dale

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hum, not sure on any accounts. The >>Sauer Kim<< was a U.S. of A. designation and if it was an inland German offering, it would have been a >>Sauer Standard Doppelflinte Modell Nr. 5/5<<. But it is not a Modell Nr. 60. I don't know that the Bluebook would address the >>Sauer Kim<< nor the >>Sauer Standard Doppelflinte Modell Nr. 5/5<<. One would just have to search on the World Wide Webb and find comps.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For comparable model pricing check out this site. Lots of post war Sauers and Simpsons, coming from the same factory. Don't forget prices are Canadian.

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/73

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

And I'm not sure why exactly, but the Germans really knock that >>Spezial Laufstahl Bochumer Verein<< steel stating that it was a inferior steel?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very early post war Sauers were made in the old factory in Suhl. The Sauer trademark had moved to Eckernforde(?) by the time the pictured gun was made( note the proof house "house mark". After the move, there was all new machinery and all new designs. New parts didn't work with prewar guns and the model numbers didn't match the new model names. After the move, Fortuna was made on the old machinery.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Raimey that it's not a Model 60. Those were West German-made guns, and so stamped on the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pipeliner

Education time (for me): what do you see in this picture that leads you to make the statement above?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
Originally Posted By: pipeliner

Education time (for me): what do you see in this picture that leads you to make the statement above?

The pin (screw) at the top rear of the action.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

But don't let that fool you:

>>Axel E. on the subject:

"See the screw at the lower rear of the action body? This is the fulcrum of the original design Anson & Deeley sear. It is in the bottom of the action body and engages a detent in the tumbler from below, close to the tumbler fulcrum. During the 1920s the Suhl gunmakers almost universally adopted E.Kerner's modification of the A&D lockwork. Kerner relocated the sears to the top/rear of the action. They turn on a screw located at the top rear of the action and engage a detent on the top of the tumblers, removed as far as possible from the hammer fulcrum. This arrangement vastly improved the leverage. As much less mainspring pressure rested on the sear detent, Kerner's top sears allow lighter and at the same time safer trigger releases. Secondary safety sears are unnecessary with Kerner's sear arrangement. "<<

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=328854

L. Brown: >>That screw, located where it is, sometimes leads people to believe that guns with that design have intercepting sears.<<

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Sauer & Son/V L & D sidelock from Ca 1901 which has vertical sears pivoted in the middle. The upper end has the sear which engages the hammer at its outer periphery, I would guess about as safe a sear as one could find.

Also, all my Lefevers also have the hammer notch on the outer periphery.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.