April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FallCreekFan, SKB, 1 invisible), 833 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#562744 01/14/20 10:48 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So what if you have 2 guns around the same price. One the previous boxlock. a vitually "new " gun around 105 years old vs a good sidelock that has good quality sleeving and restocking that's about 125 years old? The sidelock would need a little bending , the boxlock none

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Boxlock, the sidelock sounds like it has been well used. Sleeved guns take a huge whack on the market value wise. Not much originality left on the sidelock.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is so easy. If you really like them both, and they are really worth the asking price... buy both of them. Buy at a price that you can reasonably expect to get most or all of your money back out of them if you later decide you don't like them.

I have a lot more regrets about guns I didn't buy than guns I bought.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith I wish. there at the top of my budget. no way I'd afford both.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Personally" I'd take the side lock. Sidelocks have just always had an appeal to me that is totally lacking in a boxlock. I say this even though my earliest experiences with doubles were all Boxlocks.

Not having deep enough pockets to afford the truly "Beats" my personal favorite has become the American Lefever. Yes, I am fully aware it is technically a Boxlock, but it has far more in common with a normal bar-action sidelock than with a true boxlock. Also, the side plates are not just "Falsies" but expose the lockwork when removed.

I have a Birmingham side lock of lower quality than a Best, a J P Clabrough & it has shown no tendency of being in any way an inferior gun. It is a pre-1900 gun, likely around 125 rs old & since I have had it has had one broken part, a stirrup connecting the mainspring to the hammer. This was at least 35 yrs ago. I made a new one for it & it is still going strong. It is a 6 lp 14 oz 28 barreled Damascus. I habitually shot it with 1 oz loads at around 1125 fps @ about 8K psi.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The boxlock. It fits. Nobody who bends stocks can or will guarantee it wont break when he does it, or that it wont move back. You dont mention if either is an ejector (more potential trouble, but, I digress) but, keep in mind a sidelock NE is damn near impossible to sell. It sounds like that one has been used, a lot.
If it is unused, the boxlock likely needs a service.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They're both ejectors

Sidelock
Sidelock

The boxlock sounds like a better gun with original barrels. You also won't need to spend money on stock bending. Did you ever look at Rocketman's spreadsheet to get a ballpark price on used British guns?

Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nope. Just seen his responses. Not thee acual spreadsheet

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.