March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cook them two ways. First way is a plucked and gutted bird coated with olive oil, salt and pepper. I have a small 4 bird vertical roaster made from a coathanger. With birds in place, I roast them at high heat 400-500 degrees in the oven or on my grill used to bake, not broil, at high heat. About 7 minutes is all it takes. Rare to medium rare as depicted. If well done, you might as well serve liver on a stick. I smotheredthem with chanterelles I picked in the summer. I saute them in butter/olive oil and freeze in vacuum bags for winter use. Note the chunky legs and thighs.

From Steve Bodio on cooking woodcock:

"Also notice the color of the cut flesh. Like all good Woodcock (and snipe) cooks, he
sort of passes them through a very hot oven. I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds taste like liver- good LIVER doesnt taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol.

The other way I do them is to breast the bird and filet the meat off the bone into medallions. I remove the intact thigh and drumstick from the back bone. My shooting partner Floyd's favorite part is the drumstick thigh meat. They are excellent with plenty of meat. Don't just breast the bird and throwaway the legs and thighs. In a medium hot skillet, with olive oil and butter hot, I dredge the meat on each side in the hot oil/butter mix and saute the meat and salt and pepper in the pan. I don't see the need to coat with batter, etc. A minute and a half on each side is all that is needed to cook the meat medium rare. If a little on the rare side, it won't kill you. It's a great tasting bird and worth pursuing for sport and the table. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad to see that others enjoy Woodcock as I do. Ted's idea of using them for Grouse stuffing sounds good. I've always utilized the the legs, and bake them with the breasts. The legs are actually light, making a good contrast to the breasts.
Come October!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
John
if they are pests, let me know, Ill come rid you of them.
Free of charge.

In the Normandy province of France they are a delicacy. Known as Becasse. they are delicious.
do not over cook. should be med rare at best. filet the breasts and Rollin some egg, flour, salt, pepper and saute' for about 2 minutes. saute' some onions and mushrooms and serve as an app or if you have enough, a meal. don't believe the old wives tales about tasting like worms.

In Italy known as Beccaccia and some great woodcock recipes come from there. Took me a long time to figure out not to overcook them.

Hunt phez in SD with some other retired military guys and we all bring our woodcocks with us to cook there.

Cristina Di Beccaccia, aka Croutons of woodcock. Mince the meat roughly(not fine). We start with butter, garlic, some carrot and onion finely shredded and added the meat as the carrots are softened along with all of the small can of anchovies--salt not needed. Do not overcook.

Mix in the parsley as you get ready to serve over garlic toast.

It is a highly Americanized version of the Italian version which includes most of the birds internals. And is outstanding IMO.

That year I took the picture we also used some Ritz crackers because someone may have burnt a batch of the garlic toast so were short on Crostini. Alcohol may or may not have been involved and he wears 2 stars so I can neither confirm nor deny the fact if it was or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you're talking about woodcock and not wood chuck, which I read as the topic "Can you really eat woodchuck."

Had to go back and re-read the heading when I saw the birds on the grill, photo! I've never eaten woodcock, but they sound tasty!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

A woodchuck is really just a big squirrel. He eats nothing but clean, green vegetation.

You can do worse.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an acquaintance who reportedly eats armadillos occasionally. Woodchuck would be easy in comparison. Woodcock would be a delicacy, in comparison to either, IMHE.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I have an acquaintance who reportedly eats armadillos occasionally. Woodchuck would be easy in comparison. Woodcock would be a delicacy, in comparison to either, IMHE.

I can guarandamnty you don't want to eat any undercooked armadillos unless your in favor of contracting any number of plagues.

Not many woodcocks in my neck of the woods....I've always been skeptical of eating them since my Shorthair would point them but would not pick them up to retrieve. She'd retrieve anything else I'd shoot.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodcock do taste like liver (IMO). Even if not overcooked. But I like liver, so that's OK with me. I've been known to trade ruffed grouse for woodcock.

But I also like sharptails and prairie chickens, and many people don't care for them. Mostly a question of dark meat vs light . . .dark always having a stronger flavor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I eat them guts and all.

I've posted the process here before.

Look at the Scott Rhea project on Youtube for his down scale efforts.

I love them both roasted sitting on a toast raft surrounded by a sauce made from the entire trail (in the style of Escoffier), as well as surrounded by a moat of fresh Cumberland sauce.

Additionally, the skull is pricked open like a potato crisp with the lower beak, and the brain scooped out on its tip, like a delicate, creamy, jelly bean.

c'est Manufique! (Sp)

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I eat them guts and all.

I've posted the process here before.

Look at the Scott Rhea project on Youtube for his down scale efforts.

I love them both roasted sitting on a toast raft surrounded by a sauce made from the entire trail (in the style of Escoffier), as well as surrounded by a moat of fresh Cumberland sauce.

Additionally, the skull is pricked open like a potato crisp with the lower beak, and the brain scooped out on its tip, like a delicate, creamy, jelly bean.

c'est Manufique! (Sp)

You have a cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper with that?

Cold Iron,

Thats an MRE, right?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.