April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (tut, rtw, oskar, Jem Finch, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

600X SEM of the barrel wall at the location of what appears to be the initiation site. The 150X showing the cleavage is on the first page.

The cavity/void is presumed to have been the location of a large inclusion that likely contributed to the initiation of the failure at that point - slag?
Dimples are ductal overload indicators
The "possible voids" are likely the manganese sulfide inclusions seen on the 200X above, and which would diminish the steel strength.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
....The cavity/void is presumed to have been the location of a large inclusion that likely contributed to the initiation of the failure at that point - slag?....

If this is the presumed initiation point of the failure, do these characteristic seem similar to the outer barrel adjacent to what was the braze joint?

The reason I ask is could rust, that wasn't a part of the original construction, take on the SEM appearance of "slag" and possibly run along two dissimilar materials, such as the braze and barrel? The relative sizes of the potential manganese sulfide pools and the initiation point seem to indicate that "burned" steel may not have been the primary contributor. As in the past, if there was a partially, if not completely, successful braze joint, could there have been a manufacturing error in that area, that could've been hot enough to burn steel? Only thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd, as I recall, when the ferrous contamination was initially identified, it was consistent with the type of oxide that is produced during slow rust barrel bluing.

My gosh! The plot thickens... where do you suppose that might have come from???

In addition, it didn't seem that our great copy-and-paste shotgun barrel expert and serial blasphemer, or his metallurgical experts, had even considered slow rust barrel bluing oxide as a possible source of the ferrous oxide contamination found in the compromised braze joint.

You may also recall the Preacher giving some totally incorrect definition of "burned steel" after receiving the METL report.

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Oxidized debris = burned steel

We have groupies here who are actually grateful to be fed this crap.

I had to remind or otherwise inform him that temperatures sufficient to burn the carbon out of steel would be so high as to vaporize the zinc component of the copper-zinc brazing material. See my post #547631 in the thread referenced here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=546106&page=9

But the verbal and pictorial efforts to discredit me go on and on... even dragging Jesus Christ himself into the fray. You could never find entertainment like this pathetic circus over on the Upland Journal forum! Dave shouldn't invite donations... he should charge admission to the Libtard Freak Show!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig: At the time of the burst, the barrel segment flew into some brush next to the shooter and could not be recovered. It would have been helpful to examine the burst edges (and probably would have saved having to section the barrel, which was a challenge), and maybe the presumed inclusion at the initiation point would still be present.

Slag is easily identified by EDX.

This is from the previously published Remington burst; a barrel section at 50X. The composition of the inclusions by EDX was predominantly silica, metal oxides, phosphorus, and sulfur ie. slag, and not manganese sulfide.

This is a section of a L.C. Twist barrel that broke when on the extensometer way back in the pattern welded barrel strength study. It broke at this inclusion which by EDX was slag

The barrel survived 110 years of use with the defective braze and "burned" steel. Interesting to speculate if it would have remained intact with "better" barrel steel (it is non-standard AISI 1018 low alloy low carbon steel with slightly high phosphorus & sulphur, and a low concentration of nickel) and/or without the presumed inclusion and/or the high pressure reload?

Sidelock
Sidelock

So you have all these photos and speculation about what you are looking at but where are your standards for comparisons for said conclusion? Right now you are sounding like Adam Schiff!

Last edited by RARiddell; 01/20/20 09:42 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do you mean sections of turn-of-the-century barrels that did not burst? A valid criticism.
METL has been pretty excited about this and the previous pattern welded barrel study because there are very few images thereof in the metallurgical literature, and almost none of pattern welded barrels.

BTW and relevant. There are images of hull steel plate recovered from the Titanic. The “acid-lined open hearth” hull plate steel, from the works of David Colville & Co., was non-standard AISI 1020, with a slightly higher phosphorus, much higher sulfur, and lower manganese concentration. The tensile strength was 65,000 psi, and the low Mn:S ratio (6.8:1) made the metal more brittle in the cold temperature.
The photomicrographs showed “dirty steel” with both silicate, sulfide, and manganese sulfide inclusions.

This is from "There's Danger in Damascus" by Major J.W. Houlden, June 1950 "C-I-L Oval", a publication of Canadian Industries Limited and reprinted in the 1960 "Guns Digest". Obviously pre-SEM & EDX and of much lower resolution

Burrard published a few photomicrographs also

Adam Schiff? Really? Why is it so hard to discuss things on this Forum without personal insults RARiddell?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The image reminds me of an image or two of damascus barrel sections that you showed. What I see is that through the drawing process, large and irregular inclusions might be mitigated by elongating their shape and offering the opportunity for favorable alignment of what might be perceived as a grain.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here ya' go Craig. 20X 3% Nitrol etched specimen of 2 Iron crolle.
The top is the edge of the barrel segment blown out at the time of the burst and the fracture is clearly ACROSS the crolle pattern; steel is grey-black, iron silver-white. The crack appears to be in the steel alternee, or possibly at an iron-steel interface.
The straight lines in the lower right are interesting. The metallurgist suggested that they are evidence of shear deformation at the time of the high pressure burst.

These straight lines of silica within the iron strip may have been acquired as part of the rod rolling and twisting process. It looks like one in the middle left originated in a globular silica inclusion

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that 'crack' as a success in this way. It is with the grain that was formed by the steel drawing process. By grain, I mean that the dark pools, inclusions, have been decreased in size, surrounded by sound steel that is directional.

While there may be switch backs with twisting and hammer strikes, the continuous direction of the rods are formed on a mandrel roughly opposing the direction of the barrel tube. In other words, they're arranged to form hoop strength. I'm not thinking a barrel can't fail, only that there may have been an engineering intention to the construction back at a time when the mills couldn't assure consistency.

Just conversational opinion Doc Drew, to me your various images are much more interesting than often held assumptions that damascus would look like a mess of welds. Could the straight lines be abrasive scratch patterns, either not fully removed during the sample prep or as a result of the sample prep. Slight warpage and material hardness variations could account for seeing a scratch pattern in one area and not the adjacent?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The metallurgical engineer at METL showed me some samples ready for microscopy and SEM after the machining, prep, and mounting but I certainly can't comment on the process. The staining is from the 3% Nitrol etching (other etchants are also used). I would assume a scratch would not etch differently from the surrounding matrix?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.