March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#563280 01/20/20 07:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Helping someone remove the stock on an old side by side.

I have a variety of turn screws that fit the slots perfectly, but cant seem to turn the screw under the lever at all and I dont want to tear it up

Any tricks?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on the gun but that is often a through hole in the trigger plate. If so you can add some penetrating oil from the bottom. If not, try a tight fitting turn screw in a drill press.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used a large tap handle and made a bit to fit the slot in the pin this works if you don't have drill press.if you a long bit you could use it in a drill press

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Helping someone remove the stock on an old side by side.

I have a variety of turn screws that fit the slots perfectly, but cant seem to turn the screw under the lever at all and I dont want to tear it up

Any tricks?

Lefty-loosey... Righty-tighty...

Tough to remember those complicated instructions for screw removal... when you're a brain damaged hatchery trout! My advice... Don't even try this task. A head of cabbage would have better odds of success, i.e., roughly equal to your pal nca225.

Of course, you could always send it to the free advertising gunsmith SKB, and he could then farm the work out to someone else. Or you could send it to Steven Dodd Hughes, another DoubleGun Shop.com free advertiser, since you apparently like his style. Then there's Shortshells. You both have a lot in common.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are you trolling Keith?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trolling or advising....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on where the screw is, you might try an impact driver with the bit modified to fit the slot. Garrett Wade sells a small one I think. I bought one from an auto parts store and filed a bit to fit the holes in the striker disc.

The advantage is the it only turns when you hit it with a hammer, so the force is into the slot or holes. I had tried everything mentioned here, as well as putting a bit into a brace. Nothing budged it until the driver.

I'd be a little timid about using it on exposed screws, but it's actually probably safer than the slot than and other method that would be more likely to slip.

Here are the garret Wade drivers: https://www.garrettwade.com/pro-screw-loosening-impact-driver-set-gp.html

(Be sure to tell Garret Wade to send $10 to Dave if you buy them)

Last edited by Woodreaux; 01/21/20 09:56 AM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be sure your screwdriver blade is not too wide. Some countersinks for screws have tapered sidewalls, so even though the blade of the screwdriver fits nicely into the visible slot, the edge of the blade may be catching the sidewall below the surface of the screw head. This can make removal very difficult, especially if lots of downward pressure is applied to the screwdriver.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Impact driver is a good way to break the head of the pin, drill press puts a solid down force on the slot in the pin the large tap handle give you controlled torque to get really tough pins out. I had a hinge pin on a 1892 wc scott Monte carlo that wouldn't budge I used the tap handle and a bit I made to remove it if it had cracked I would have had to make a very complicated pin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Are you trolling Keith?

No, not in the least. I have offered the only appropriate advice you have received thus far. A person like you has no business attempting something so complicated as removing a screw without doing damage. I can tell that you have no mechanical aptitude.

And you should never be permitted to touch or use sharp tools.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.