May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, earlyriser, Ted Schefelbein, riflegunbuilder, FelixD, 1 invisible), 277 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#563766 01/28/20 01:26 AM
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can someone please explain the difference between the Daw and Woodward forward under lever action.
Thanks

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

Which Woodward action are you referring to? James or Thomas?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Daws patent just withdraws a single central circular rod from what looks like a third underbarrel similar to the rifle barrel in a drilling; if that makes sense. The Woodward withdraws ordinary Purdey bolts as far as I know. Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

The James versus Thomas Woodward thing always hung me up too. Easy to confuse.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/28/20 02:08 PM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3

I have owned enough Thomas Woodward guns that the difference always stood out to me. T Woodward guns are also known as the "spiral spring Woodward", main spring are contained inside a tube. Most of them appear to be sidelocks, I had one that looked like a boxlock. The safety is distinctive as well being a relatively large "T" shaped bar that pivots as opposed to sliding in order to engage or disengage. I have owned a considerable number of very early hammerless British designs over the years. I eventually settled on more standardized designs for my personal shooting. I would dearly love to own a James Woodward "automatic" someday though.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3

I have owned enough Thomas Woodward guns that the difference always stood out to me. T Woodward guns are also known as the "spiral spring Woodward", main spring are contained inside a tube. Most of them appear to be sidelocks, I had one that looked like a boxlock. The safety is distinctive as well being a relatively large "T" shaped bar that pivots as opposed to sliding in order to engage or disengage. I have owned a considerable number of very early hammerless British designs over the years. I eventually settled on more standardized designs for my personal shooting. I would dearly love to own a James Woodward "automatic" someday though.
Steve

Exactly. T. Woodward spiral spring is unlike any other action and is easily identifiable.
It’s actually considered a “striker” fired action. Like SKB said...the strikers and coil springs are contained in a tube, a protruding pin engages the under lever and the tubes are cocked when the under lever goes forward. Not really another action like it when it comes to Brit guns.

SKB...could you please describe the boxlock version of the T. Woodward action? I’ve read through the patents on the action and have never seen the action you described. How would the cylinders that have the strikers and coil springs be mounted in an action like that? Not doubting you, just curious.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,
the tubes were mounted on the rear of the action and inlet into the wood. I owned that gun a long time ago and forget exactly how it was accomplished. I think the tubes threaded in to the action but could be mistaken on that detail, That gun had the barrels refinished by Oscar Gaddy in black and white. It had been owned by a member of our Rocky Mountain Vintagers club, I knew the former owner and the gun when I went in to the small local shop that had it for sale. I explained to the gunshop owner several times that the gun was not a James Woodward. I eventually bought it for 2500$, a pretty big mark down from the 10K he had on it when I first came across it in his shop. I think it took me the better part of a year to get him to understand what it was and the real value of the gun. I never did shoot that one very well, too much drop if memory serves.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was told the Purdey action photo 1 was a Daw, it looks the same to me as the other two early 3 digit serial number Henry Atkins. (yes, the Purdey was sleeved by Westly Richards, that's the only way I could afford a Purdey) Can someone please identify these actions. Thanks
fallout history

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

SXS 40: The Purdey terminology for the snap underlever as seen on your BiW gun is a 'Daw Lever'. This does not refer to the mechanism inside the body of the action, just to the lever which is in the style used by Daw for his early 'Daw Patent' actions described very well by Lagopus above. The double under-bite is clearly visible in your photos which is the Purdey patent.
If your gun cocks by moving the lever then the mechanism inside your action is very likely a 'Woodward Automatic'
As you can see from the photo below of a 'true' Woodward Automatic, the bolstered tumbler pivots are very similar but the lock pins are in a different pattern so without opening the gun up it is impossible to know for sure what lies inside!

If the gun cocks on the fall of the barrel it may be a standard Purdey patent but with a 'Daw' underlever rather than the more common sidelever or thumb lever, all work the same way.
Here is a Purdey self opener from 1881 with the 'Daw' lever:

And here is an Atkin BiW hammerless with the 'Daw' lever that uses the Woodward Automatic mechanism from 1876-1880.

However since this a gun built on the Woodward Automatic patent it is a Woodward underlever not a 'Daw' underlever! Confused? So am I!

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 01/28/20 05:29 PM.
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Toby, thank you for your explanation, it actually makes sense to me. How do the above actions relate to a Joseph Lang forward underlever, that does indeed cock the action with the lever? I've been told that it is a "trigger plate" action.

HWK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.