April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

"And you, my father, on that sad height".. I've studied Dylan (Both Robert Allen Zimmerman from MN) and the sodden Welshman from Dublin, who created this poem. Wondering if Dylan saw his deceased father on the gallows, waiting for the trap to spring open and begin the final drop into Hell. My personal favorite is Kipling's poem "If"-- "walk with kings and consorts, and not lose the common touch'-- says it all for moi!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/03/20 09:57 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

What da hey, Lloyd- I'm 78, still have great health, 20/15 distance vision- and weld for farmers (great way to get access to private lands for hunting) and a few others darn near year round.

Stop buying used doubles about 4 years ago- sold one 12 ga Graded Smith last year--not going to buy any more to burden the grandsons with.

But SC events, here in Mi- several colleges (Hillsdale) and many area HS have skeet, SC events as much as varsity baseball, basketball. Doesn't mean those lads and lassies will be crowding the duck blinds in Autumns to come, but at least they hopefully won't fall into the Demmy-Krats crapping all over the Second. Amendment- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/03/20 09:54 AM. Reason: shorten

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
While fools and hoarders are scheming their lives away,
I am living large.

Just bought a set of pipes for my 700 that should let me touch 150hp.
With some clutch work, I'll be hitting 140mph without over revving.

Good times.

Zapper at 1:13. LOL!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't wait to see what the dyno says.

Out there doing it best I can.
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Retired at age 54. Left my ironworker career with a hefty pension, as I never turned down overtime, and there was lots of it. That pension payed for a two acre plot and a new bungalow. Sold our house in Toronto, for a stupid amount of money, which quadrupled my initial purchase price after 17 years.

Half my cash is in mutal funds, all dividend funds, which basically gives me a fund that does dollar cost averaging as my dividends continue to be reinvested. Annual average rates of return are around 5% net since inception. My FA only charges .73%.
That industry is quite regulated here up North. The other half of my funds are in insured GIC's making 3% over the next three years. Some are cashable. I also have a chunk of cash in general bank accounts, insured, making 2.5%.

We do alot of traveling and skiing, we are fortunate that money is not an issue. Just hired a personal trainer and a nutritionist, just to make sure I'm around to spend it, and have a good quality of life down the road.

My mum at 85 just sold her cottage for a good chunk of cash. We moving her into a retirement living apppartment the end of the month. It's a very nice place, full service. That's $4,600 a month. She does get a government pension of around $1,200 a month I think, which helps.
I'm hoping I can afford such a nice place when I'm 85!

Just to add, my strategy started when I was twenty five, and took advantage of every deferred tax saving incentive the government had to offer. The government also allows for TFSA's....tax free savings accounts, which allows one to grow your money...well...tax free.

Last edited by dal; 02/01/20 11:17 AM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
While fools and hoarders are scheming their lives away,
I am living large.

Just bought a set of pipes for my 700 that should let me touch 150hp.
With some clutch work, I'll be hitting 140mph without over revving.

Good times.

700 what? The 750GSXR I rode to both coasts would exceed 140mph without breaking a sweat. I sold it, when my kid was 1, and the printshop I was working at eliminated 3rd shift and moved me to dayshift.
Riding a bike became a lot more dangerous when the sheep were awake, trying to drive, and talk on their phones at daybreak.

Ive had the itch for another. Not sure I ever need another gun, however.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, I admire your attitude. If that 700 you mention is a motorcycle, your retirement strategy is perfectly clear...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy, your information about variable annuities is well taken. I never much liked annuities and considered them a poor investment, although useful for a steady income stream.

When I told my broker I wanted to commence monthly withdrawals on the IRA account which I had rolled my 401-K over in to, he bought a variable annuity to enable it.

I thought he was nuts, but the annuity plus a few dividends from stocks has paid out about 4% of my total IRA every month for three years and is still worth the original face amount plus some. Of course that is due to the Trump economy, and I realise it could just as well go the other way...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, its a Polaris 700 triple snowmobile.With three expansion chamber pipes, and some re-jetting, maybe some timing work, I might be able to hit 150 on it.

They were a sleeper back in the day, and now they have a bit of a cult following.

I have properties in the snow belt, in fact Ive spent the last week shoveling snow off the roof at the cabin near Munising, and I had the thing sitting in the barn.

Since they are easy to hot rod I decided to have a little fun.

In my case, I am absolutely confident that my resources will last far longer than my health will. But that will not prevent me from using up every last ounce of my body before they pat me in the face with a shovel.

I probably ruined my grandchildrens futures working harder than Dal, but it is what it is.
I wanted it, and I went out and got it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The trick at the end is making sure your resources arent acquired by the medical, long term care and state taxation systems, that seem to be programmed to confiscate them.
The cheap .38, alluded to, above, might have more than one type of use.
Again, sobering.

Best,
Ted

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.