May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, ohiochuck, NTaxiarchis, 2 invisible), 259 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#564530 02/06/20 05:12 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So Ive done a few stock, but this one seems problematic, I cant seem to get right. The pores are filled and the finish was knocked down, but I cant figure out how to get the figure in the wood built up and end up with dull spots in the finish, Im using boiled linseed and Napiers London finish which is a linseed oil with dryers. I want a flat finish but the dull spots are driving me nuts. Any advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's only a guess, but it looks as if there's a large darkish patch. I think, if curly figure darkened or stained fairly uniformly, you may not have prepped the wood to the same leveled uniform grit as parts of the stock that you're satisfied with. I think the hot reflective light spot helps illustrate some prep uneveness that might feel different to the touch, maybe soft backed sanding or some reluctance to go after it? Again, only guessing, good luck with it.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You could keep doing what your doing and in time it will slowly even out as the dull spots fill from the edge and get smaller Or you could put a few top coats to Timberlux on and be done in a few days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never been a big fan of boiled linseed for a gunstock finish...great for protecting axes, shovels and hoe heads and handles.

Kinda looks like part of the wood is still absorbing finish.

I'd try wet sanding you might start with 200 grit wet/dry then a couple of times with 400 grit wet/dry paper with your paper on a rubber sanding block...before the slurry starts to dry give 'one wipe with a tissue paper across the grain.

You need to be sure it's had time to fully cure between wet sandings...could mean over night in a warm room.

Heck what could eYe know I'm no rOcky mountain gunsmurf...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Got to lOve that signature line of yours Mark...

Coming from a guy flagrantly trOlling for business in the same signature line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I agree with Craig, I just maybe have a different way of saying it. I see it as end grain of figured areas coming to the surface. I would guess most on this forum have more experience with this, than I, but I would work down the dry finish in the big middle areas with fine steel wool( maybe 00), but next to inletting and corners with fine abrasive paper( 400-600 grit), backed up with a rubber/wood/or hard felt block. Take the surface all the way to the wood. The reflective areas are where the grain is filled and there is finish on top of the wood. If you look closely at the dull areas, it looks like the grain is not quite filled( the end grain will take in more finish than side grain). You can concentrate on the dull areas by applying finish, take it down, do it again until all the dull areas are filled. Once this is done take the whole surface down to the wood completely. You will then have the finish in the wood, rather than on the wood. At this point, you can apply whatever finish you want and knock it back to suit yourself by what ever way you prefer. What I like to do for the final finish in to rub in one coat of "Boiled Linseed Oil". Then, when( not if)I get some rain spots or other small defect from use, I only have to rub it up with fine steel wool and rub in another coat of oil.
There will be disagreement with my method, some likely very forceful, just remember I already admitted everyone else has more experience than I.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Does he troll for business? I live in Wisconsin and asked him to be my gunsmith. He rejected me very rudely and told me to take a hike.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1

Does he troll for business?

I do not believe Mark does work for others. I have known him nearly 20 years and have never heard a rude word out of his mouth. I do not accept all clients or types or work either and I am getting more picky by the day. Could be a sign I am getting old.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Does he troll for business? I live in Wisconsin and asked him to be my gunsmith. He rejected me very rudely and told me to take a hike.

He trolls for gun sales...

Sidelock
Sidelock

What do you troll for Frank?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.