Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I shelter in place I will post a few photos of the Lefever 47216 as it is now almost finished. Sunshine here so this was an opportunity to get it outside for a couple of photos. From these photos you will see why I will have the barrels refinished. Previous owner(s) must have used a gunny sack full of sand to carry the Lefever. Overall the barrels are solid, just a lot of minute scratching, especially at the breech end.

As for the finish on the wood I am pleased with the use of Velvit Oil Natural. My approach was to use two applications of Pilkington's stain, set, then wiped out with denatured alcohol, then approximately 10 coats of Velvit Oil applied thin and allowed to dry for 48 hours between coats. I used 600/800 wet/dry paper and #0000 steel wool with Wool Lub to rub out between coats starting with application number 3 and working up to 9. Final application 10 has been allowed to cure for the past four weeks.

I learned much from the replies here in this post and on a couple of other posts on this forum. Really good advice and help for working with wood repair and finishing. Thanks to all. From the Flexner book on 'Wood Finishing' I learned about doping-in the deeper scars that I was unable to raise with heat and moisture. I learned that a flat tipped iron with alcohol works wonders along with a small clothes iron and water. (Jeff Jewitt, 'Great Wood Finishes' is also a very useful read). These scars (usually inflicted by right hand carry pushing through the thorn apples on the right side of the stock) remain as witness to 107 years of carry use. All that remains for the wood finish is to apply a good coat of wax. I use MinWax for Walnut.

As for the barrels I will send these off to be refinished. This intricate task I only read about.

So, here is Lefever #47216 today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks great. Thanks for reporting back with results

Jim
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update: barrels are now away for a complete refinish by Louis Rotelli (Classic Restorations). I will post updated photos of the completed Lefever when Lou completes the work. Check back in September as I hope to be afield with #47216 after timberdoodle and pheasants in October.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LeFever 47216 final update.
Thank goes to Louis Rotelli at Classic Restorations (203) 788-4920. Barrels polished, dents removed (super job) and refinished in black and white. Beautiful work. Read my comments and take a look at the previous photos to see what I sent him and compare to the finished product back from Lou. Also and important, Lou completed the work on time. Woodcock migration waits for no dog or man.

Lefever G Damascus courtesy of Classic Restorations

The Lefever is now set to head out to harass woodcock here in Ohio. Migrants are just arriving from 'that state up north'.

First woodcock outing November 5, 2020. 1oz, 70g 2F black.

Last edited by LetFly; 11/09/20 06:04 PM.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Next project: Parker GH grade, S#78013, 1893.

This fine Parker is sound mechanically and the wood is in good condition. Requires the checkering on the fore end to be recut as it is still visible but worn quite smooth. Checkering on the stock wrist is in good condition and will require only some pick-up. The barrels have turned brown and have a number of surface blemishes. These will be refinished as well. An excellent winter project.

Last edited by LetFly; 12/02/20 04:44 PM.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ah, you just have to love the project gun that just keeps on giving and giving. On my second bird outing with the refurbished Lefever its top snap spring gives way after being worked over it's 119 years. Classic Restoration and Lou Rotelli to the rescue. Thanks, Lou.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lefever back in business

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lefever G playing skeet games with the 1894 Remington AE. Another thank you to all who offered advice and assistance in putting the Lefever back in action.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.