April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fab500, SKB, Jem Finch, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 442 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,153
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

I vaguely recall back in 2008 when Vic Venters reported on Greener's manufacture of new doubles with vintage damascus tubes, a comment possibly by David Dryhurst that there was some challenge cutting the chokes? that the barrel would not cut smoothly but would chip/fragment? Does anyone else remember?

I remember an old thread with a similar comment dealing with the installation of threaded choke tubes in damascus barrels, but on the other hand Toby Barclay may do just that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if Briley still provides this service for pattern welded barrels, but they certainly did back in the early 2000's when installing their chokes in an E.C. Green damascus gun owned by a shooting friend of mine.

The reason for doing so was to correct poorly regulated barrels (cause unknown) that were off by many inches even at 25 yards. My friend bought it as a 'shooter' for the various vintage events that were becoming popular back then and was pretty disappointed to find it virtually unshootable. Briley requested that he provide a goodly number of pattern sheets, from which they eccentrically reamed and threaded both barrels to shoot as they should. I can only say that I witnessed both the before and after results and the gun shot to center thereafter - and saw a lot of use on sporting clays.

What they are doing today, I have no idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley responded that they DO install choke tubes in Damascus barrels, but did not reply as to whether these are screw-in choke tubes or permanent sleeved tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Briley responded that they DO install choke tubes in Damascus barrels, but did not reply as to whether these are screw-in choke tubes or permanent sleeved tubes.

Thats a typical Briley response these days. Long on their capabilities, short on the details. No way they can install permanent sleeves or choke tubes if the muzzles dont meet a thickness standard. Most Damascus barreled hammerguns have razor thin muzzles...if thats the case, no way they can do either, unless they cut the barrels to a point that has the right amount of material for the machining.

With that said....I ordered a couple of Briley chokes to fit a older beretta recently....they were horribly undersized (length). I cancelled my order with them after two months of back and forth....anyway, I wont buy Briley stuff anymore or have them do barrel work for me either. They definitely arent what they used to be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As said above, it all depends on the thickness of the barrel wall, at the muzzle. Teague will do steel or damascus but only if there is plenty of wall thickness. I don't think they differentiate between fixed or thin-wall interchangeables.
They recently refused a set of Whitworth steel barrels on their wall thickness that I sentr them.
Another issue raised by Demonwolf444 is the matter of reproof. Teague will not do any insert choke work without submitting for reproof (as is correct by proof rules) and then you enter a whole world of jointing, bore, chamber, rim recess spec which could make the job much more challenging!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Screw in chokes are one thing. Soldered in permanent chokes are another...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
I have opened up a whole pile of tight chokes on damascus tubes and they cut just (fine?) in my experience. Steve

Cutting threads in Damascus barrels and opening chokes in Damascus barrels I would think are two different processes involving two different sets of problems/obstacles, wouldn't you agree? I would expect chipping to occur when cutting threads in Damascus.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 02/11/20 04:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Demonwolf444
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Ive got my doubts.

Does anybody remember the time a guy asked if he could have his 2 English 12
gauge chambers let out to 2 3/4?

Not the same, but fun to ponder.

Best,
Ted

Why is this a silly question? In the UK the proof test has become very strict and therefor many older guns are rejected from proof due to being originally proofed for 2 1/2 inch cartridges only to find the chambers measure some random size somewhere between 2 and 2 1/2 inch. In my experience its quite common to find short or long chambered older guns, to pass a new proof one must have the chambers dropped to within the new tolerances for the new size ranges.

To the question can you have choke tubes put in - yes if there is enough wall thickness for the purpose, some old hammer guns i have seen would lack the required thickness at the muzzle.

It is a silly question, here, in the US. Off the shelf loads in this country are often loaded right up to SAAMI spec, which, means you would be firing a load at or above proof level in your English 2 chamber gun, that someone let out to 2 3/4, every, single, time you pulled the trigger. We have no proof house, and, perhaps more importantly, very few gunsmiths talented enough to perform a view before and after a proof session. I can think of one. He apprenticed at Hollands.

It has only been in recent years that lower pressure loads have been widely available in the US. You dont need a load that will reliably cycle a dirty gas autoloading gun in your 100 year old double, but, at most retailers, that is the ammunition you will get.

To the choke tube matter, most gunsmiths, here, arent interested in the liability of modifications to Damascus barrels. Your gunsmith in England is going to cut the barrels for tubes, taking it out of proof, and then, by law, submit it for reproof, where it will pass or fail. If the gun fails, here, after that work, the gunsmith will most likely hear from a lawyer.

The gunsmith here, has no control as to what loads go into the gun. Usually, neither does the owner, unless he is astute.

English 2 chamber guns typically run light in weight. I cant imagine why anyone would want to fire a 2 3/4 SAAMI spec load in one, or, want to lengthen a 2 guns chamber in order to be able to do so.

This isnt England. It would be silly to do either, here.

Best,
Ted

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Originally Posted By: SKB
I have opened up a whole pile of tight chokes on damascus tubes and they cut just (fine?) in my experience. Steve

Cutting threads in Damascus barrels and opening chokes in Damascus barrels I would think are two different processes involving two different sets of problems/obstacles, wouldn't you agree? I would expect chipping to occur when cutting threads in Damascus.

I would agree but I did not think Drew was referring to threading for tubes in his post when he mentioned cutting chokes. I certainly could be mistaken though, it would not be the first time.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
There are some that solder in choke tubes but to put in a threaded choke tube is not recommended

There are the soldered permanent tubes, and there are also permanent tubes installed with black LocTite. That LocTite has a specific designation, but I don't remember the details. Somewhere I have an article from years ago about that process, and I think the installation was in pattern welded barrels. I may be able to find it next week when I get back to that computer.

OP appears to be in the US, so British proof requirements are pretty much irrelevant, except from a cautionary perspective consistent with shooting all old guns.

As to why one would want to do this, my reason would be to put some usable choke in a Cyl/Cyl gun. Those chokes would make the gun useless to me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.