April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

CA tried to ban lead sinkers a few years ago. Has not happened yet, but it's probably coming.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I will have to say that in the back of my mind I'm thinking along the lines of Keith too. Are lead fishing weights next? What about the lead weights used for balance on the sides of auto tyres?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

lead in terminal fishing tackle has been banned Yellowstone waters for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
....With estate game bird shooting it's not so easy for the antis to make an elite vs. the rest of us issue. With Estate shooting, many locals are employed at the estate and arguments have been made that local jobs would be lost if shooting birds became banned. With the collapse of the market for lead shot birds, something had to give....

Something tells me that a single day fee for estate shooting is miles out of reach for the average person. It may be a fruitless argument to hope that a few support jobs would be saved. Doesn't anyone care about the jobs lost when a lead foundry is shut down or the fishing tackle industry is slashed? I'd also guess that sending estate shooting harvest to market feels good, but isn't the slightest motivation for those that can afford the luxury. Why not just keep the lead and condemn that tiny bit of tainted food? Just as valid an argument? Anyway, I'm glad these aren't problems facing folks down around your neck of the woods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS

lead in terminal fishing tackle has been banned Yellowstone waters for years.

Interesting. That I did not know.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope.
A small day for a team of friends might be $150.00 per guy.

All depends on what you want.
Same number of support staff, same employment issues, just fewer birds shot that day.

Jobs are scare in rural England. People don't get paid alot.
Changes like these are horrendously disruptive.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Once they get their foot in the door it's just a matter of time. If you're not fighting against lead bans you're part of the problem.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In central Canada lead weights for fish nets are banned.
I have bought old weights from fishermen.
I get old wheel weights for making lead shot, and the percentage of lead is down to about 30%.
The rest is steel and a Zinc alloy - garbage.

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I will have to say that in the back of my mind I'm thinking along the lines of Keith too. Are lead fishing weights next? What about the lead weights used for balance on the sides of auto tyres?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Nope.
A small day for a team of friends might be $150.00 per guy....

....Jobs are scare in rural England. People don't get paid alot.

Thanks for the insight CZ. Not to question your first hand experiences, but I'd suspect there are also costs for licensing and other hoops to jump through for UK citizens, not visitors of means. What I'm not getting is how a couple of high school buddies can set out on a diy rabbit or bird hunt. How do you convince the next generation to carry on or start new traditions?

As to the jobs, yes I can understand personal devastation from the loss of a job when there wasn't much to start with. In the US, this same line of thinking would shut down the entire steel or coal industries among others without blinking an eye. In my mind, there's no stigma in not making as much as the city folks that're calling the shots. I hope these country folks of the UK don't get nitpicked into submission, it certainly has its successes in the US.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is a different world across the pond. I was surprised that Wales has banned the use of electronic dog training collars and that Scotland and England are next if it hasn't been done so already. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) has a grip on Parliament that PETA (Abby and Willa, too.) wished it had on legislatures here in the US. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Nope.
A small day for a team of friends might be $150.00 per guy.

All depends on what you want.
Same number of support staff, same employment issues, just fewer birds shot that day.

Jobs are scare in rural England. People don't get paid alot.

Sometimes the beaters and pickers at small shoots are voluntary rather than paid. Guns swap jobs with beaters and pickers. At least that's how Catlow describes the process in his book "Private Thoughts from a Small Shoot". Bigger commercial shoots, the helpers are always paid.

Re the lead ban, there are already steel shot loads available in the UK and approved for guns which are not steel shot proof. They're lower pressure, lower velocity, and restricted to smaller shot sizes . . . I believe no larger than a US #5.

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/25/20 08:23 AM.
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.