March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, canvasback), 869 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello again to all. I just picked up a 16ga T+S Nimrod SxS the other day and have been going over it. From what I have read on the net and what I can see, it appears to be very well made. The action looks to be simple, yet extremely strong. Can any of you shed more light on what I see here?

The engraving is intricate and covers the gun completely. The checkering is also very fine and looks well done.

I have had it open and removed the spring and hammer. Everything looks as it should.

I plan on eventually cleaning up the wood as it shows signs of years of usage. Lots of dings and scratches to size up.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have read that T+S stopped making guns during WWII. What I am trying to determine is the age of this one. It has 2 9/16" chambers and the serial number is in the 36400 range. Here are some pics of the stampings.

Any info, opinions, experience is appreciated.

Last edited by Dilly541; 03/02/20 09:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dilly541,
Since it was proofed in Suhl and I couldn't see a date stamp, I trhink it was proofed between 1912 and 1923. It looks like a nice one to me. It looks like the right barrel is cyl. bore and the left is choked ( amount of constriction unknown).
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 02/28/20 08:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My T&S Nimrod drilling is number 400xx, only 4-500 away from yours.

The bottom barrel (rifle) has the bore size stamped and "1137", Nov. 1937?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Dilly541,
Since it was proofed in Suhl and I couldn't see a date stamp, I trhink it was proofed between 1912 and 1923. It looks like a nice one to me. It looks like the right barrel is cyl. bore and the left is choked ( amount of constriction unknown).
Mike

Thanks Mike for the info as always. I measured the barrels with proper tools and they are choked roughly at imp/mod and very full. I was a bit puzzled by the k with the jagged circle stampings on each barrel. Overall It appears solid to me in every way and my gunsmith was enthusiastic about seeing it.

Does anyone know more about the makers? Were they relatively unknown or a low production/good quality outfit?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
My T&S Nimrod drilling is number 400xx, only 4-500 away from yours.

The bottom barrel (rifle) has the bore size stamped and "1137", Nov. 1937?

Rob, I looked all over for a stamping like that and came up empty. My Sauers all have them, but this one does not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very fine example of a Nimrod action, certainly in much better shape than my Nimrod drilling from T&S. Mine is currently undergoing a renovation in the hands of Torsten Retz, a gunmaker in Suhl who manufactures a modern version of the Nimrod action. http://www.retzandson.com/de

Torsten tells me that the locks have interrupted sears, the first he has seen on a Nimrod action.

Last edited by xausa; 02/29/20 05:46 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good on you for resurrecting that drilling. Sounds like you found the man for the job too.

Does your gun have an auto safety? Mine does not and I cant tell if it has been modified for that, or if it was made that way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not yet had the drilling in my hands, so I really can't say, but I can't remember any of my drillings (mostly Krieghoffs) with an automatic safety. If it does have one, I would want it disconnected.

Automatic safeties arguably make sense with a shotgun, but I don't see the rationale for one with a drilling. Drillings have enough options for the shooter to choose from without adding another factor to the reloading procedure.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree with you on the drilling safety. My drilling has a greener style and there is lots to think about when you suddenly have things to shoot in front of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.