March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
gunsaholic #568071 03/25/20 10:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic Kerner - Anson Body Action with Emil or Ernst Kerner's initals on the tubes along w/ the initials >>F.A.<< on the flats.

Now there was a Fritz Albrecht but I am not sure he was active in the mid to late 1920s. But Gebrüder Adamy was as it was founded by Albert & Franz Adamy in 1921. So I would say Franz Adamy had some part in the tubeset knitting. You see the initials on many Suhl doubles from this period especially those of Charles Daly, being the last of his quality offerings.

Times were most difficult in this tumultuous period & many concerns faltered. In 1919, Ernst Kerner partnered with Carl Funk and by 1923 Ernst Kerner had hung out his own shingle while Kerner & Sohn(Emil) really began to falter and by 1929 looks like it went into receivership and was dispersed where in 1930 Emil Paul Jopp of Albrechts landed up with it. Ernst was in full control & is noted as being the designer of a boxlock platform - Erfinder selbstspannender Jagdwaffen. Too Ernst Kerner was supported by a machinist by the name of Johannes Viereck, who might have performed the heavy lifting on the platform?

Have you a better image of the side of the frame?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

gunsaholic #568088 03/25/20 12:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some more pics.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 03/25/20 12:33 PM.
gunsaholic #568184 03/26/20 10:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a question regarding German guns from this period. Apart from varying degrees of engraving and some slight differences in receiver shape or cocking indicators, the boxlock guns appear to originate from the same basic design. Did gun makers like Sauer, Merkel, Kerner, etc all source them from the same factory and finish them to their own specifics, or did they just all use the exact same design? Correct me if I am wrong, but Simsons appear to be slightly different. My T+S Nimrod is clearly a completely different action.

gunsaholic #568185 03/26/20 10:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

On second thought, Simsons look pretty similar too. It’s the Dalys that look slightly different.

gunsaholic #568229 03/26/20 08:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Nimrod frame would have originated @ the Romerwerke / Römerwerk/ Röhmerwerk . Jacob Römer / Röhmer either didn't know his last name or how to spell it. He seems to jump from one spelling to another @ the drop of a hat. I would think Sauer could have forged their own frames, but then again there could have been a blank frame forge such as the Schilling forge. E. Schmidt & Habermann did their own frame filing and too might have had the capability. It may be that the Anson & Deeley Body Action and variants had to maintain a certain amount of steel for the integrity of the action, so they pretty much were the same shape.

Daly / Lindner more than likely sourced his frames from Sauer.

Have a gander @ all the mechanics @ the Röhmerwerk facility:

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/romerwerk-the-becker-revolving-shotgun/

You know, I hadn't noticed the 1925 trademark of a dagger thru a R or Rs.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

gunsaholic #568457 03/29/20 03:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If of interest, I own an Ernst Schlegelmilch 16 ga. Picked it up in Vegas show about 8 years ago and it took me 4 years to find the makers name located right between the two firing pins on breach face. It was very faint and when cleaning it, the light caught the markings and with the help of a permanent marker I was able to read 90% of the name...got the rest by googling it. I bought it because of the nice design of receiver...reminded me of my 16 ga. Fox AE.
After discovering the maker, I called the German collectors assn. in NY (?) and a very helpful older gent. told me he thought I had the only Ernst Schlegelmilch in the states. Evidently, Ernst was well known for a safety device he patented for his guns.
It's a nice gun, not fancy but handles well and shoots well too.
Carl

gunsaholic #568552 03/30/20 12:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d love to see a picture of it...

Dilly541 #568554 03/30/20 12:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dilly541
I&#146;d love to see a picture of it...

As would I.

Dilly541 #569253 04/08/20 08:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dilly541
I have a question regarding German guns from this period. Apart from varying degrees of engraving and some slight differences in receiver shape or cocking indicators, the boxlock guns appear to originate from the same basic design. Did gun makers like Sauer, Merkel, Kerner, etc all source them from the same factory and finish them to their own specifics, or did they just all use the exact same design? Correct me if I am wrong, but Simsons appear to be slightly different. My T+S Nimrod is clearly a completely different action.

One of the things that interested me about your Nimrod was that it was an entirely different action. I had for many years a Heym 16 that I sold last year to VictoryXC. It came from a similar time period. A cursory look suggests a great deal of similarity with the Kerner Gunsaholic is showing here (but for the bolsters). The Kerner appears to be finished to a higher degree and some details are different but I would not be surprised if the rough forgings each maker began with were the same.

Brian, if my experience with the Heym is anything to go on, you got a great gun. Patrick stole it from me but I suspect, knowing you, you got an even better deal! laugh How long are the barrels?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
gunsaholic #569268 04/08/20 12:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the screw in the top rear of the action reveals it to be an improved Anson and Deeley invented by Emil Kerner. Axel Eichendorff's (kuduae's) comment:

"During the 1920s the Suhl gunmakers almost universally adopted E.Kerner's modification of the A&D lockwork. Kerner relocated the sears to the top/rear of the action. They turn on a screw located at the top rear of the action and engage a detent on the top of the tumblers, removed as far as possible from the hammer fulcrum. This arrangement vastly improved the leverage. As much less mainspring pressure rested on the sear detent, Kerner's top sears allow lighter and at the same time safer trigger releases. Secondary safety sears are unnecessary with Kerner's sear arrangement."

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post233792

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.