May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (fullandfuller, buckstix, Lloyd3, cpa), 809 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carl, if you send pics to brent@iastate.edu, I'll post them for you.

I think this is an example of a Manufrance with a retractable sling. The website doesn't mention it however. I've never actually seen one of these in real life.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...=101385284#lg-2

Here is another
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101333709

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Weve been over the retractable sling here, quite a few times. When I was importing Darne guns, that sling was an option. I sold few of them, they were expensive, and while they are a bit gee wiz, they arent really a very good sling. The width of the strap is narrow, supporting a 7 lb. gun on a 1/2 strap isnt that comfortable. The mechanism in the butt adds weight and mechanics right where you dont want them. The sling was not a Manufrance product, and they appear on all makes of French guns.
To the guys who wanted a sling, and, that wasnt very many, I always told them to go with the bretelle Darne. I use a sling on a shotgun, and there really isnt anything that compares. The front loop is free to move up and down the tubes, eliminating most of the complaints about the sling getting hung up in brush. The sling is easily removed when you dont need it, and easily put back on when you do. I just leave it in place, on my own guns, usually.
Given a choice between sling swivels and a regular sling, or a retractable sling, Id take the former. It is just a better sling, all the way around. If you are going to have a sling, have a good sling.
The retractable sling is really only for very intermittent use. I guess if I was restocking an old gun that had a functional retractable sling in place, Id at least consider putting it in the new wood.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted is absolutely right on the usefulness of the sling on my gun. I had it put back in the new stock to preserve its originality. The sling Ted mentions is a vastly better solution. But there could be moments that you might appreciate having the built in sling handy on a long trek back out of the fields and woods.
Mostly I did it to keep it true to the gun. However my stocker was not happy. Sorry Kirt!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Carl, if you send pics to brent@iastate.edu, I'll post them for you.

I think this is an example of a Manufrance with a retractable sling. The website doesn't mention it however. I've never actually seen one of these in real life.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...=101385284#lg-2

Here is another
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101333709

if you'll look closely the sling cartridge on the first example you link (the kirby hoyt 2r gun), it has been reinstalled backwards. the "D ring" has a decided angle that allows it to retract quite flush into the receiving metal housing.

generally i agree with ted & carl, the slings are better in theory than in practice...they are simply too narrow to comfortably use for long, and the auto retraction pulls them tight as soon as you release your grip on the sling. i have them on three MF guns.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are pictures in the works on mine. As stated I like that in an emergency, I could use the strap, but not as a general rule. Mine was installed correctly and looks nice all tucked in the stock.
Carl

Sidelock
Sidelock

When it comes to shotguns, I often need a sling for short periods of time when duck or turkey hunting. The narrowness would not bother me at all on a 6-7 lb gun for that purpose. I use a couple of the double slip loop slings but then I have to stuff them somewhere when I've gotten to where I'm going and not forget them. They do make VERY handy turkey carriers however, if not being used on the gun. anyway, I like the idea of retractable sling in theory. But practice could be different.

My Darne is my first shotgun with sling loops of any kind. We shall see if I put them to use.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2 Ideals with the retractable sling and a Darne that does not.
I like the sling as a (it's just neat) thing and also for the ability to dig around in a bag or eat an apple without putting the gun in the mud.
I like slings on shotguns but I also like Belgian guns that usually have swivels
For duck hunting in saltwater a sling is mandatory as I don't want the gun in the mud ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek
I have 2 Ideals with the retractable sling and a Darne that does not.
I like the sling as a (it's just neat) thing and also for the ability to dig around in a bag or eat an apple without putting the gun in the mud.
I like slings on shotguns but I also like Belgian guns that usually have swivels
For duck hunting in saltwater a sling is mandatory as I don't want the gun in the mud ever.

I like a sling as well. But, Ill tell you right now, we are a minority in that regard. A lot of my hunting spots are walk straight in, turn around and walk straight out, and a sling works perfect.
The retractable is neat, can be handsome, but, mostly fails as an actual sling. That, is actually good enough, most of the time, on a shotgun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In rereading the posts, I notice that it was mentioned that a small bore Parker looked pregnant. Got to thinking about the Charlin O/U I have. I'm sure many of you may have seen it on GI for quite awhile. I talked to the owner and eventually made him an offer, but hoped he sold for more. He eventually accepted my offer. The gun is very smooth, but looks pregnant too. I've shot it and it works well...but oh the looks!!! And again, like Ted said about the Darne's(Charlin's too), light and well balanced it isn't.
Carl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of those are marked Super Charlin. The action is fun to cycle back and forth, but, I never deluded myself into believing I needed one.
Hope you like yours. A Darne is tough enough to sell.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.