April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a 1953 JP Sauer 12ga, ejector gun from Simpson LTD about 6 years ago for $315.

Only pics I have are from before the ultrasonic bath. Like a lot of Simpson's guns, it wasn't used much but the finish is worn. Just have to sort through them. Some Communist Merkels on there now for $5-700.

https://simpsonltd.com/shotguns/

Someone got an interesting hammer gun....

https://simpsonltd.com/maleham-double-barrel-c46769/

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1
I have no problem with sleeved guns

Whether its a bss, skb, dickinson, they're all too heavy

I'd be very surprised if you were to find much weight difference between an Ithaca SKB Model 100 12ga--the version with a splinter forend and extractors--than a Webley & Scott 700 12ga. Maybe 2-4 ounces? Assuming the same barrel length. The BSS doubles are a good bit heavier, even the straight grip Sporters with smaller forends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1
I have no problem with sleeved guns

Whether its a bss, skb, dickinson, they're all too heavy

Those all are too heavy? For a steady first of 1 1/4 Oz? Huh. A 12 bore SKB 100 too heavy? I dont have a whole lot of experience with Dickinsons, but none of them seemed all that heavy in game gun configuration. A BSS would seem just about right to soak up some of that recoil. 1 1/4 in a light game gun isnt very comfortable and Im not recoil sensitive in the least. A gun that is fed a diet of heavy loads like that should be a few ticks over 7 lbs.....I wouldnt mind it coming in a 8 lbs myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's a steady diet of loads when pheasant hunting? Not much. I mostly prefer my pheasant guns to be 7 and under and well under at times. But an SKB would be a fine choice. The Dickinsons I've handled didn't seem all that great, but I never shot one. In any event, it would be nice if the OP would add a few more parameters like weight and barrel length and whatever else is important to him (triggers and safety?).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The title of the thread clearly states Pheasant/Duck. I dont know where you pheasant hunt, but you can get into a hot corner and indeed pop a few caps. What about guys who hunt in groups and have blockers? That can get pretty hot as well. I wont even go into duck hunting. Just because you barely shoot any pheasants, dont think others dont.
I dont think you know much about anything double gun related anyways BrentD, so you knowing how a game gun should handle is pretty suspect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The limit on pheasants is 3. How many caps are you going to pop in your "hot corner"? ⁹

I'll wager I hunt pheasants and kill more wild pheasants than the vast majority here, likely including you. I've been doing it exclusively with doubles for over 25 yrs, so I have a pretty good and pragmatic grip on what hunting them with doubles is all about.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

28 barrels. Like to keep it around 6 and a half. Ive looked at webley s from 6 2oz.up to 6 10. None of that gang hunting for me . Arent skb and Dickinson the same? I have considered Dickinson s. A Dickinson 12 is around 7 Lbs. and Id have to order one ive heard bad things about their delivery dates. Seems like once they got your money your not a priority and with the crap going on now who knows how long it would be
I

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB and Dickinson are not the same.

For under $1k you can find a Merkel Model 8 that will make 6.5# with 28" barrels. LeFusil will hate you for it, especially if you regularly post pictures of it like the one below. They are spectacularly reliable hunting guns and will handle 1.25 oz loads forever. They will also handle steel (#4s or smaller with the proper chokes) as well as.

Here is one that has well over 2 decades of hard use on it.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
The limit on pheasants is 3. How many caps are you going to pop in your "hot corner"? ⁹

I'll wager I hunt pheasants and kill more wild pheasants than the vast majority here, likely including you. I've been doing it exclusively with doubles for over 25 yrs, so I have a pretty good and pragmatic grip on what hunting them with doubles is all about.

When you shoot as a blocker....you can shoot more than 3 birds...youre shooting for the group, Ive done it many times...its not my preferred method of hunting pheasants, but for some here, thats exactly how its done. Having lived most of my adult life in the Midwest (Kansas, Iowa, & Nebraska), and having a job where I only work nine days a month....and having a brace of highly trained dogs.....I think youre being a bit presumptuous in thinking that you might have an edge on me in regards to hunting pheasants, yearly bag numbers or even days spent afield. Waterfowling? I wont even get into that. Its not even close. I also travel to 3 different states to hunt birds as well. In any one season....I usually have taken 6 different species of Wild upland birds. People on here who know me....will attest to all of this.
Id say the only thing you have a pragmatic grip on is bumping your gums and acting like youre informed. Better luck next time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

SKB and Dickinson are not the same.

For under $1k you can find a Merkel Model 8 that will make 6.5# with 28" barrels. LeFusil will hate you for it, especially if you regularly post pictures of it like the one below. They are spectacularly reliable hunting guns and will handle 1.25 oz loads forever. They will also handle steel (#4s or smaller with the proper chokes) as well as.

Here is one that has well over 2 decades of hard use on it.

No. Lefusil will not hate you for hunting or using a Merkel or any other German gun. What dingaling supreme doesnt know is that Ive owned & used many German guns throughout the years. Simsons. Merkels. Greifelt. Sauers. Etc.
There are very few German guns that are aesthetically pleasing to me...Merkels are at the top of the list. I never said they were bad guns, they are extremely well put together like most German things are.
Nice try Brent.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.