March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#568925 04/02/20 06:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete Mikalajunas' website damascus-barrels.com has been down since shortly after the first of the year. Starting about 2006, Pete began researching pattern welded barrel production, esp. in Belgium, and our fund of knowledge grew exponentially because of his efforts.
With the help of Marc Gettemans he obtained from Liege the 1925 movie “The Making of Damascus Barrels”, and established his website in 2008. The link to the movie also no longer works
http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html
Pete also researched the A.J. Aubrey/Meriden Fire Arms guns and published an article in the Spring, 2010 Double Gun Journal
He also had an interest in vintage double rifles, Henri Pieper guns, and upland hunting with his GSPs.
I last heard from Pete in early 2016. The last activity on his Facebook page was in the fall of 2016.
This is a great loss and a reminder that in the internet age, research needs to be preserved.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While we are at it frown

The pseudonymous Zircon posted “Contribute Junk To Advance Barrel Strength Knowledge” on two public internet forums in 2005 requesting vintage barrels for composition and strength testing. By 2006 he had accumulated almost 40 samples (some contributed by PeteM), both Fluid Steel and Pattern Welded. Part of the collection included the Damascus barrels from the Parker GH and the Vulcan Steel barrels from the Parker VH that had been the subjects of destructive testing by Sherman Bell, with the technical support of Tom Armbrust, published in The Double Gun Journal Vol. 10, Issue 4, Winter, 1999, “Finding Out For Myself” Part II and Vol. 16, Issue 2, Summer 2005, “Finding Out For Myself” Part IX.

My last communication with Zircon was May, 2015 when he indicated that he was working on an article for submission to DGJ.
The fate of those 40 barrel samples is unknown.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew;
So sorry to hear this. Pete was indeed extremely knowledgeable on Damascus. I have a CD I obtained from him on "The Making of Damascus Barrels". It is very informative.

I also have some Bad News. On Thursday, March 26 I went back for a CT Scan following my last Chemo treatment by one month. While some of my Cancer Cells had shrunk, unfortunately, others had grown. There were no other treatments available to me. I was thusly dismissed, sent home & put under the care of my regular MD.

I have absolutely no idea he much longer I may be able to monitor this site. On the bright side, I have been a Christian for 65 years & lived a happy life with a Faithful Christian Wife for 60 years. I am thus ready to "Cross The Bar"

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm so sorry Miller. Your contributions based on practical experience have been of tremendous value both here and on the Lefever site.

Hebrews 3:14 (NLT)
For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ.

Louis Berkhof’s closing words in the last article he wrote for "De Wachter"
In the hour of death it is the forgiving grace of God which enables us to rest our heads in confidence, fills our hearts with the hope of eternal life, and causes us to look forward with holy joy to the eternal mansions which God has prepared for his own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller....you are a font of knowledge and an example for us all on how to live a good life. Good luck. Gene Williams

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, you and those around you are in our prayers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just spent a 1/2 hour on the phone w/ Pete M. He is ok, but they are hunkered down in Chicago. He is progressing slowly, but was in the hospital from January 2019 - July 2019. He was in the hospital yesterday & has an appointment soon for his prognosis. His plan is to take some time & write the life of an apprentice & I strongly urged him to put pen to paper.

Daryl, Drew, etc. he asked about you all.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, you're brave to share that news and, along with your other brothers here, I appreciate it. Rest assured you will be in my prayers every morning. I have admired you from afar, for a long time, and appreciate you sharing your knowledge and wit.

We may get canned for this thread. It seems like many threads that shift towards evangelical tones get deleted. Don't know for sure. But, I think you and I share common beliefs. One of those is that when we "cross over" it is going to be the most glorious experience we have ever imagined. The Creator has given us a life to enjoy here, and serve Him, and I'm going to hang onto it as long as I can, and when I leave this life I intend to do it kicking and scratching. But, the assurance we have of life after mortal life is the most precious thing I can have. And that is what makes the difference between dying in Christ and dying in the flesh. My mantra is this ............ if I can trust Him in life, I can trust Him in death. I hope and pray yours is a long time coming.

Hang in there my brother. I will be "standing in the gap".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Raimey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for that witness, Stan. Mr. Miller, may God's peace and healing be with you.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.