March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, battle, trw999, Argo44, 1 invisible), 362 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#56883 09/16/07 10:04 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Currently, I am in the midst of a serious 20 ga. Sterlingworth upgrade project. The gun will be finished soon and I have to make a decision on bore constrictions. This 1913 ejector gun has 30" 4-weight barrels, is presently choked .011/.018 and the chambers have been lengthened to 2 3/4". The gun will be used 75% or more of the time of the time as a skeet gun, ocassionally for 5-stand and sporting clays and it probably will also see a little action in the woods as a grouse/woodcock gun.

For years I have pooh-poohed screw-in choke systems, but have come to realize their versatility in a Parker Repro "Sporting Clays Classic" that I have.

If it were your gun would you want the versatility of a screw-in choke system---or would you opt for fixed chokes? If fixed, what constriction would you choose given its usage?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeet & Mod.

JC(AL)

P.S.: After looking at what the present choking means, I'd leave it as is.
Wow, I do have to learn the choking expressed in "!!! JC

Last edited by JayCee; 09/16/07 12:42 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

First I' d shoot the gun and see exactly what it shoots on paper. It may be a bit tight for the shooting that you describe. That is just my opinion. I'd try fixed chokes because it does not cost all that much to do. If you decide to go with screw in it would not be any great loss. Especially since you probably have more than the you will ever get back in the upgrade anyway. If it shoots lt. mod & mod on paper it would be fine for the shooting you decsribe and give you plenty of room for some phesant hunting also. That would be quite verstile and still keep some of the tradition of fixed chokes.

Bill G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd shoot it like is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Joe on this one. Give it a good long trial as it is before changing anything. The screw-in chokes are indeed versatile. They are also a pain in the butt, in many ways. They collect plastic and require frequent cleaning. Far more than the choke area in a fixed choke gun. A lot of time is wasted changing chokes, IMO. Like changing flies 100 times while you're catching fish.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would leave it along as well. The only thing that I would consider is opening the right to maybe .003-.005 and leave the left alone. I have a Fox 16 choked .005 and .015 and really like the combo. I also have a Fox Sterlingworth in 16 that I will have opened to the same as my CSMC Fox.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in the "Leave it as it is" camp. If you just must, Kevin has a good suggestion.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot it as is and you should find that it works well for you. You might need to wait an extra 5 yards for some shots to allow the pattern to open up a little more but this is better than having a open choked gun that makes you rush shots because of thin patterns. No perfect set up for all games. And you will find that the perfect screw in choke tube is often in your vest pocket. If you reload five or six different loads should cover anything that you will ever shoot with the chokes that you have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Were it mine, I'd have it properly adjusted by Mr. Orlen to .003 and .007.

For 75% skeet use, that's the correct constriction. Also, very good for grouse and woodcock in 20 ga... For sporting, you may be a bit under choked. You can make up for that a bit by handloading some 1oz shells with premium lead for the longer shots...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not change it to shoot skeet. I am not a AAA shooter, merely a B and I use .007 in my K-80 on all the gauges. You can single load on the center stations and the extra choke if yo shoot the doubles is fine, especially if you are a little slow on Station four low first.

Jon, I have heard of people waiting to shoot a bird but with an .011 you should be able to shoot them immediatly. If you are on a brushy preseve with released birds you could load your 20 down to 3/4 oz of shot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.