March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#569824 04/14/20 09:47 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since I can't go anywhere, shoot my guns, play golf, thought about ordering one of these to shoot dragon flies or something. Daisy Model 21 SxS BB gun.

We all had the Daisy gravity-fed lever cock BB guns in the 50's. We would stop by the hobby shop on our bikes on the way home from Jr. HS and he would sell us wads of BB's at $.09 a round box (later a plastic sheaf) to avoid the state tax. BB gun wars raged..we bought old canvas pilot headgear, welding glasses to protect us. The "automatic" squad arm was the pump spring loaded BB gun but it could only carry 50 rounds and was slow loading. We experimented with coating "depth charges" and "cherry bombs" with BB's...when one of them on a test run tore to shreds a stout cardboard box, we abandoned the "grenade" version.

But I never saw a SxS....Anybody ever use one?

Last edited by Argo44; 04/17/20 01:56 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

By the time I got old enough to use a BB gun they were universally too powerful to shoot each other with. We found that you could take a small piece of tin foil and wad it up just enough to use as anti-personnel fodder.
One of the funniest things I ever heard was when I returned after an absence and was told about that if you bit down hard on them with your teeth they worked better. The quote was "we've perfected it...it hurts now."
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daisy made two models of the SXS. The model 104 of 1939 had a wood stock, the model 21 of 1969 had a plastic stock. There is currently a plastic stock version at Tumbleson auction with a high bid of $1,100.00. The wood version usually brings more money. For the hard core SXS collector! "Commenting for a friend"

Last edited by SXS 40; 04/14/20 11:14 PM.

HWK
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OMG...I think my parents pat $5.14 for a Daisy Red Rider for Christmas in 1954. I must have put 10,000 rounds through that lever spring gun. Who would have thought?

Last edited by Argo44; 04/14/20 11:36 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one as a kid. Can't remember if it was wood or plastic stocked, but it was a double smoothbore "rifle". It cocked on opening, AIR. What I can remember very clearly is that it was basically useless, if you wanted to hit something you shot at. That gun was where I learned about regulation, at a very early age. It was the worst regulated "doublegun" I ever had, and ever will have. Instead of remembering that your BB gun shot high right, or low left, etc., you had to remember that for both barrels. I was pretty good at knocking dragonflies (skeeter hawks) off the overhead power lines with my single barrel Daisys, but couldn't hit crap with the double barreled one.

I got my first S x S shotgun at age 8, a J C Higgins .410 S x S, and the Daisy S x S was quickly left behind in a trail of dust.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With the Model 104 you were cocking two 'guns' at once. I had my 8-year old grandson try to cock it - he couldn't. This is another reason why it quickly vanished from the Daisy offerings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Since I can't go anywhere, shoot my guns, play golf, thought about ordering one of these to shoot dragon flies or something. Daisy Model 21 SxS BB gun.

We all had the Daisy gravity cock BB gun in the 50's. We would stop by the hobby shop on our bikes on the way home from Jr. HS and he would sell us wads of BB's at $.09 a round box (later a plastic sheaf) to avoid the state tax. BB gun wars raged..we bought old canvas pilot headgear, welding glasses to protect us. The "automatic" squad arm was the pump spring loaded BB gun but it could only carry 50 rounds and was slow loading. We experimented with coating "depth charges" and "cherry bombs" with BB's...when one of them on a test run tore to shreds a stout cardboard box, we abandoned the "grenade" version.

But I never saw a SxS....Anybody ever use one?

Never saw one, but I would take that over and actual model 24.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was a kid, my dad brought home a pair of the Daisy lever action copies of the Winchester Model 94 and a box of 15,000 BBs. We set up a range in the basement and over the next few years we shot up that box of BBs, swept them up, shot them again, swept them up and shot them again. We literally wore those two rifles out. Sadly, I found them when we were cleaning out the house after we were moving my mom to an assisted living facility, only to learn that Daisy doesn't stock parts for them or do repairs. They sit in a corner of my basement, a reminder of my childhood and my dad.

Dad had been an active participant in the BB gun wars of the 1940s in the Mayfair section of Northeast Philadelphia, which still had some substantial undeveloped areas at the time. He carried a bone chip on one eye socket, the legacy of a very near miss during one of those wars. Needless to say, that experience made him a real tyrant when it came to gun safety, a value which I continually thank him for to this day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

About the time we figured out that a little light oil down the barrel improved accuracy and penetration, we quit using them on one another, and very shortly graduated to actual firearms.
I have the Daisy Powerline rifled barrel model my late father used to terrorize the squirrels that would try to eat his flowers and garden. I havent fired it. My kid went straight to Dads.22 at about age 5, and hasnt thought about the BB gun.
You need to be at a range to shoot the BB gun in this part of the world, legally, so we always grab the .22s.

Had a lot of fun as a kid with the BB guns. Glad nobody got hurt.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re: BB gun wars; and here I thought my brother and I were the only ones that stupid.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.