April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, Hammergun, 3 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#570402 04/24/20 01:54 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greetings all,
I am the current custodian of a Stephen Grant sidelock, sidelever with the Grant patent ejectors and have fallen victim to the delicacy of this design.
The left ejector tripper, which is located adjacent to the cocking lever in the action, has broken.
Can I make this part with a piece of 1018 sheet metal? The tripper is about .040" in thickness, so 18ga would do with a bit of thinning.
My main question is whether or not the 1018 would be durable enough without further heat treatment.
Below is a picture of the ejector tripper (Top) and cocking lever (Bottom).
Those of you familiar with the design will know what's going on...

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your going to be better off with a piece of O1 tool steel properly hardened and tempered.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your best bet is to use a piece of gauge plate of the correct thickness then harden it failing that a piece of machine hack saw blade though it will need to be annealed then hardened again. Going down in hardness and just still workable as is with hand tools is a DIY type circular saw blades, a lot of these blades are made from high carbon steel and can be heat treatable. I do find circular saw blade material very usable rather than paying a high price for a couple of inches of gauge plate etc.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I am by no means an expert in metals but now can see that I need a steel that has a higher carbon content. As I would like to try and tackle this job myself using only hand tools, I like the idea of a hacksaw blade. I may be able to track down a blade from a reciprocating saw which is large enough to make the part from.
Failing that, I can certainly find a circular saw blade which is large enough. My concern with this would be getting the thickness correct since it would have to be thinned quite a bit and I only have files to do so.
I will post back once I find some blades. I'm sure I will need some hand-holding for the heat treatment...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear Blue Grouse;

Please allow an old man nearly 80 to provide you with some advice on the selection of the steel (which should be spring steel or something that can be hardened) basis to to use to minimize the forming of the part work.

Measure the thickness of the steel with precision( I have found in Stephen Grant ejectors trippers that they are not uniform thickness front to rear) then drive over to the home supply store or second hand tool store and measure the thickness of the cheap carpenter hand saws (I have bought them for $5.00 or so in the past) finding one that meets your thickness needs. Even the cheap saws are made of good spring steel--especially the cheap Buck brand. This will save you a lot of filing work. While you are there buy a round chain saw file for the rounding of the edge of the slot you are going to make.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bushveld,

Thank you very much for the advice.
The carpenter saw idea is perhaps even better since it would require even less finishing if I can find the proper thickness.
Indeed you are correct about the thickness of the tripper. Mine varies from .031" at the end which protrudes from the action knuckle, to .040" at the opposite end where the spring is located.
I already have a chain saw file which I use for removing material on the lumps when re-jointing but it may be too large a diameter...
Every bit of information brings me closer to a solution!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are thinking about using the chainsaw file to form the round in the depth of the slot? You could consider just drilling the closest sized hole there on a drill press. Then form the rest of the slot with what ever hacksaw, flat filing that would get you there. Maybe leave a little extra for work holding, that piece may be frustrating with a lot of vibration if using hand tools.

The others that commented would know much better, but Id drill the stop hole, hog it out with a disk dremel type tool, then just clean up the relatively lesser roughness. And, Im sorry if Im not understanding what youre trying to do. Best of luck with it.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can tig or solder your part back together so you have a good pattern to work from also drill the hole first then use it to indicate your pattern

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would recommend spring steel .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunman, Do you think that using a saw blade of suitable thickness would work?
I have measured all my saws and all are too thin. I will be off to the hardware store with my calipers next too see if I can find a suitable donor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.