March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, fuhrmann), 884 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#570696 04/27/20 05:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Carl here, another question about Darne's. Someone awhile back told me that the disc's on the sliding breach of a high end Darne are called Obturator Disc's and are designed to seal the shell in the chamber when the breach is closed, thus insuring......what? Some people have said it is a safety thing, or it reduces the recoil or...?
I've never had a problem with any of my Darne's, with or without the discs. The only difference in recoil appears to me the direct result of the butt plate or pad you use. Can someone educate me?

Sidelock
Sidelock

One bit of education, the Vast Majority of things which are advertised to reduce Recoil, DON'T, they are purey advertisements. Triple so IF they are advertised to reduce recoil while simultaneously increasing the velocity of the load.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, I agree. But what about the obturator discs? They are touted as part of the higher end guns, they obviously require additional machining, and it has to be precise. What is their function?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is what Hallowell's Firearms Dictionary says about it:

Obturating Breech - A design of breechloading action whereby the breech slides forward to the barrels (or vice versa) and the one overlaps the other to form a better seal. Ordinarily, modern firearms do not require special obturating breeches because ductile brass cartridges swell slightly when fired, effectively sealing the rapidly expanding gas within the breech.

Personally, I dunno.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, that makes sense.
So to me, it is not an effective selling point if you are in the market for a high end Darne.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cartridge alignment. Gas sealing. Recoil reducing. Safety (an extra layer of steel surrounding the rim of the cartridge). The easy answer.......gimmick.
Do the disk do all of these things? Probably not. Back in the day it was a selling point and my best guess is....they made them like that, so lets continue to make them like that. Lots of gunmakers were guilty of other gimmicky things too. Darne was no different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you were in French Indochina with a bunch of wet paper hulls it would push them in the chamber and seal it in the event of failure. The design predates our current ammunition trends.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All good points and probably appropriate in some cases, but maybe not so much anymore. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive owned guns with them and without them. Ive always figured I had more control over recoil, or, lack there of, by proper selection of load to gun, and what use it will see that day.
The older style Darne guns that are without obturator discs have the faceplate of the breech dovetailed into the sliding breech, and are superior to the later version, that is held in place with two screws from the bottom. V grade guns, all obturator disc guns after about 1908, have two pins which toss the empties off to either side, something I am also not crazy about. A non obturator disc Darne R model just pulls the empties out of the barrel, and they stay politely there, until you grab them, or, tip the gun.
I think it is so much hype, but, will say it is a nice little piece of machine work, and have never seen one that was poorly fitted. I wouldnt let the lack of them be the deciding factor on a gun I was considering, assuming everything else was good.

Best,
Ted

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.