March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, Researcher), 765 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#571593 05/09/20 05:46 AM
joda Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello,

first of all, I am not into double guns at all, so please correct me If I got anything wrong. Some time ago, I bought this well (ab-)used Francotte out of curiosity as a wallhanger. It was relatively cheap and I wanted to get a grip on a sidelock once (just as I bought an AK training model when they were still allowed). It came in a larger lot of well-used shotguns representing mostly the lower end of the European market in the last century. I guess that these guns were handed in for destruction.

I am trying now to research the gun a little bit. I think it used to be a calibre 12 gun with 7-pin sidelock, concealed third fastener, bushed firing pins, articulated front trigger and it is stocked to the fences. Probably it was self-opening, but the mechanism is now stuck.

According to the serial number and the Belgian proof-marks, the gun was made in 1929 by Auguste Francotte Liege, Belgium. The barrels are marked “Aug. Francotte Bte a Liege” on top and with Francotte Chokebore and the usual “crown over AF” from below. In front of the trigger guard, around the maker name, it says “Made under patent 308906”.

Obviously, it used to be no. 2 of a pair, as marked on the lever and the metal part of the forend.
Furthermore, there is a silver (?) monogram plate below the lower sling swivel, which is not readable any more.

The bluing is well worn, especially on the lower side and the trigger guard is bent. The gun was reproofed in Germany early in 1971. I guess that, at the same time, the barrels were reblued (there seems to be some pitting under the blueing) and the Pachmayr “White Line” pad was added:

Some things are still unclear to me:
What is the patent number standing for? I did not find it in any online patent research. I just found one other gun bearing the same patent number. It’s a much nicer gun with a serial number a little bit earlier from the same year:
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjul...ith-case-35813/

Since the wood and engraving are rather plain, I was surprised that the serial number actually falls into the medium grade range; I would have expected bottom grade. Also, if you want to buy cheap, you usually don’t buy a pair of shotguns, no? Furthermore, the combination of a sidelock (no real technical advantage, just more space for engraving) and finish without much engraving somehow does not make sense to me. Was this gun maybe intended to be a more expensive gun but finished cheaply?
I took a look at the annual production numbers of Francotte doubles (calculated from the serial numbers published here https://www.doublegunshop.com/dgsnos2.htm):
[img]http://abload.de/img/francotteproductionnu4rj7v.jpg[/img]
It seems that before the first world war, the majority of the guns were medium grade. After the break during WW1, the production of bottom grade guns increased and soon reached the same level as medium grade. Around 1930, the production of both grades dropped considerably (world economic crisis?), with only the bottom grade recovering and even reaching higher values than the peak of medium grades in the mid of the 1930ies. My guess is that either the demand of cheaper guns increased in the 1930ies or the overall standard of all models was increased by Francotte (with the high-runners in the mid-class now being bottom grade).

Is there anything else that you can tell me about the gun? These kind of deacts will be forbidden over here end of this year. I am thinking about whether I spend the effort trying to somehow keep it somehow or not.

And of course it woud be very interesting if anybody knew no.1, probably serial 86194.

Last edited by joda; 05/09/20 05:51 AM. Reason: number of images limited
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francotte, until quite recently, has been an underrated gun in the US. Yours may not have been especially “abused” but has certainly seen a lot of use and a certain amount of lack of care.
I like them very much and I especially like them in the smaller bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can’t help you with your gun. It looks as if some fool has drilled holes in the chamber area to render it unusable. If that is the case, I am truly sorry to see it. That was not that old a gun, and I would find it hard to believe there was a safety issue involved with the use of that gun that was serious enough to destroy it. It was a good quality, useful gun for sporting pursuits, not something any criminal would have been interested in.
I believe it is a perfect example of where misguided gun control efforts invariably end. This is where they always end, and where the sponsors of same want their efforts to end.
It is really a shame.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

if there are in fact holes in the chambers, perhaps some sort of blow out plug could be installed to make this nice gun safe to shoot...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

You mention that deactivated guns will soon be forbidden. What country are you in?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
joda Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for your comments and sorry for not being clear: The gun is unusable and there is really no way to bring it back to life (If you are really interested I can describe how this was done, but that's kind of gun-horror). The story behind these is simple: If only few people are allowed to own few guns, there is no market for cheap or outdated guns. So people hand them in for destruction. The alternative to melting them down used to be to deactivate them by converting them to blank firing guns. This way you find an idiot (e.g. me) who pays for the destruction instead of the government.
For some ridiculous reason, this kind of deacts will be banned now, and it's not clear what will happen to them.
However, I didn't post this to discuss gun laws but rather to discuss this piece of history (in case there is anything interesting) before it will be gone completely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post some image of the marks. I'd hazard a guess from your stage name Afrikaans?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a nicely `got up` gun of decent quality,shame to see it meet such a sad demise.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the reason your gun is a medium grade is because it's a sidelock which was, and probably still is, considered the only action for best guns. An un-engraved sidelock was considered a higher grade than an engraved boxlock, within the Francotte hierarchy, not just an area for more engraving.

A shame about yours, looks like the drill holes are too far back to even have the gun sleeved.

For reference this #86423, a 20ga ordered through VL&D and delivered to A&F, who had just taken over VL&D, on Dec. 24, 1929. I have the complete documentation from A&F.

It's listed as a "Deluxe Ejector Grade" and again as a "Grade 140E.A.H. Ejector.The engraving is signed by Hippolyte Corombelle, a top Belgian engraver at the time. Looks to be perhaps a grade lower than the 12ga high grade you posted. Sale price in 1929 was $750.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
joda Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
You mention that deactivated guns will soon be forbidden. What country are you in?

Germany.
Well, to be more precise: Deactivated guns are not completely forbidden. We are still allowed to own guns which were deactivated completely according to German laws, but we are not allowed to sell them any more. So some people are litterally sitting on piles of junk metal. This is a gun converted to firing blank cartriges. For decades, these were the slightly better alternative, since depending on the model, more parts were in working condition (not in this relatively recent conversion). If you want to keep these, you have to prove a legal reason why you should own them. Since they are not good for anything, there is no reason to own them. It's not clear yet, but probably ownership will be limited to theatres and film studios.
The only legal alternative are deactivations according to new EU specifications, but I do not know of a single company in Germany that has a license to do this conversion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.