April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, SKB, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33
Sidelock
Sidelock

The items "fixed" by CJO are found on several pieces of the gun. One cannot tell if they are only from wear and abuse, or if the original parts might have been soft, brittle, or whatever. I have owned quite a few of the Daly Lindners, and other post war sxs's by Daly and have not seen so many parts worn and broken. Beautiful gun, though.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, I should let Claudio answer the question more fully but my quick response is that it was a gun regularly used in an area of Canada where guns are tools. And it's been around for 115 years. So things happen. I think the biggest issue is the broken ejector rod and what appears to be subsequent damage to the ejector system. The rest (other then the dents in the barrels) appear to me to be unsurprising wear and tear on a gun that got used. This was no safe queen.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
James, you and Claudio should come down to Maryland together. Jon and I live about fifteen minutes apart and we can all get together with the "Official Custodian" of the Bill Wise files, who lives fairly close in Virginia. It's been a few years since we had a Lindner show and tell. The National Firearms Museum is about forty minutes away from my home, closer to Jon's home. The Robert Petersen Collection is worth the visit. Bill Murphy

Bill, what a generous offer. You know a trip to Maryland to ogle Lindners will be high on my priority list as soon as the border opens again. And Claudio has mentioned to me that he has missed his trips down south the last year or two. Did not realize the National Firearms Museum was so close to you and John but you are in one of the few areas of the US I have spent zero time in. Looking forward to correcting that. Thank you.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
Boxlock

Beautiful gun..Beautiful work

Last edited by greenhornet; 05/12/20 02:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a shoe-in for 2020's best thread.

Makes me wonder about the true condition of all those "good acquisitions" in my safe.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Daryl, I should let Claudio answer the question more fully but my quick response is that it was a gun regularly used in an area of Canada where guns are tools. And it's been around for 115 years. So things happen. I think the biggest issue is the broken ejector rod and what appears to be subsequent damage to the ejector system. The rest (other then the dents in the barrels) appear to me to be unsurprising wear and tear on a gun that got used. This was no safe queen.

Yes.....definitely all of the above but also appears that someone has been at it, fortunately or not the damage to the barrels was enough to cause them to put it away for good, in hope of perhaps having it repaired at a later date, guess that date never came till now....and under new ownership.

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So now we move on from the ejectors to having a go at the sear spring I showed you back on the first page:

After an hour or two of work to try to repair the spring we had this:

Claudio thinks it was buggered by someone at some point, although he's not sure why. Suspects they might have been trying to change the trigger pull without really understanding what they were doing.

I think we can all agree.....crap! So it's time to make a new one. To start, a small piece of spring steel gets annealed and attached to a slave plate, squared:

Then the inside and outside of the dovetail insert gets milled, a few thousands oversize to allow proper hand fitting:

Stone the inside while the piece is properly supported.

Mill the double spring taper:

Last edited by canvasback; 05/13/20 02:25 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Next it's time to heat and shape:

Then start the close (press) fitting:

Followed by a lot of stoning and polishing:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And we're done! I can't tell which is the new one, can you?

Here's a direct quote from Claudio...." As far as I'm concerned these are some of the most cleverly designed and intricate little springs. It's usually one of the parts I admire most when I look at one of these great Prussian doubles. I have often looked at them and said to myself...hope I never have to make one. Now I think, I hope I never have to make one again! laugh "

Last edited by canvasback; 05/13/20 02:27 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful work.

Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.