April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (fab500, Craigster, ClapperZapper, Chad Linder, Argo44, earlyriser), 474 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,154
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rising bite reminds me of an upscale Manufrance Ideal. Also in the Ideal vain, could the breech circles be relics from removed loaded indicators? Maybe some German gunsmith was Ideally inspired.

Markus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: peevedoff
Maybe some German gunsmith was Ideally inspired.

Lovely pun. Hum, I looked @ Ithaca's offerings and paused @ the Knick but it just might be some >>Ideal<< variant?

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=280646

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

How would you know who did the Engraving, from the fotos the seller presented. Emil Flues lived in Saginaw, MI-- the Emile Flues mentioned, I am not sure. Der Fuchs

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
How would you know who did the Engraving, from the fotos the seller presented. Emil Flues lived in Saginaw, MI-- the Emile Flues mentioned, I am not sure. Der Fuchs

I believe Mr.FLUES lived in several locations throughout his life and Buffalo was one of the places he resided.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This particular rising bite EF Flues shotgun is in fact engraved by Flues...which sort of dates it before c1919 shortly after his association with Rudolph Kornbrath began to grow...My guess is it was made just after Newton Rifle Corp hit the skids...surely this gun was made on Seneca St...the person has it listed as Kornbrath engraved but it's not, it's far rarer but maybe not more desirable than Kornbrath engraved ...it will be interesting to see when Haille Selassi's gun surfaces whether it's Flues engraved or Kornbrath engraved...there was a discussion here sometime back about what Flues engraving looked like...well here it is for all to see.......seems to me there was one report that Flues worked for Baker Gun Co, as an engraver, between his hitch with Ithaca, which ended c1909 and his hitch with Newton Rifle Corp which began c1915...yes...this means Emil was friends and associates of Charles Newton, Fred Adolph, Roudolph Kornbrath, Frank Hollenbeck, as well as Selassi (aka Ras Tafali...and all at the same time1918-1922...I wish the gun was mine

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Robert,
Welcome back, I hope you are well.

I think Flues finished off a bunch of guns just to make a living.
Various forms pop up every so often.

Always nicely finished.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice flues engraving the top or first overunder is much different then the rest it's much nicer looks like a different hand.mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Robert,
Welcome back, I hope you are well.

I think Flues finished off a bunch of guns just to make a living.
Various forms pop up every so often.

Always nicely finished.

Clapper,
Thank you...your observation is correct...Flues did in fact finish off many guns...one Marlin and one Ballard...and at least 62 Parker upgrades for a guy named Brobiel (?SP) of Brobiel & Canazzi marina at the historic Commodore Perry site...it has also been reported that he did many Parker upgrades for members of the Cherry Hill Country Club (Canada)...all this took place from c1930 - 1948 when he was found collapsed at the bus stop across from his shop on Niagara St...his shop was a two story bldg attached to Brobiel & Canazzi Marina..Paul Brobiel told me that when his father died (Emil's 18 year employer) that he sold 62 "fake" Parkers and one real Parker to one southern California person" Which we now call Pachmyer upgrades...at least some of them....None of the guns discussed here are of imported actions...when Flues imported an action it was the whole gun, German proof marks and all, it's a well known fact that when Flues was crowded out of Ithaca Gun Co in 1909 that a Ithaca executive provided him with a good supply of Krupp steel barrels so that he could resume his livelihood as before he was asked to uproot his family and move to Ithaca...the gun being discussed...hope this link works...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101375626

note the ejector axles on the left and right sides of the fore end wood is like Linder's steel eye ejector axles also note that the Manufrance Ideals rising bite is controlled by a trigger bow lever and this Flues shotgun is top lever lock up...a complete departure from the Manufrance design...I think the Ideal rising bite
lock up is older than this gun

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 05/14/20 12:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Robert. Nice to see you posting.

First production of the MF Ideal design was 1888.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.