April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bill Palmer, WJW), 379 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got a bunch of ammo and as I look at it it seems of moderate effectiveness primarily a competion / plinking round ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just bought a very High condition Remington No. 4 single shot rifle in 25-10 caliber which I understand is the same as the Stevens 25 rimfire.
I have not shot it as of yet because ammunition is not easily found. Lucky find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marks_21,
Like Gostrider, I have a nice condition Rem.#4. I have a small quantity of Western and CIL 25 Stevens long rimfire ammo. The CIL chronographs about 1080 fps which is a little slower than it is listed. On the other hand the ammo is pretty old, so I'm grateful it fires. Based on this, I would guess the shorts would do about 900 fps or less. I might be interested if the price is right and they are smokeless. PM me if you want to move them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Stevens Favorite (1915 version) that I've had since I was 10 (63 years) and always found it to be a great squirrel/rabbit gun. A Lyman peep helps with the shot placement and that flat nose bullet did the work. I only shot shorts during the periods I couldn't find the regular Longs. Don't really remember much difference. But when your'e talking tree top range at the most, both were effective. Like most, I have a small cache of ammunition and only use the rifle when feeling nostalgic. Old eyes much prefer a scope.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I also shoot the .25 Stevens RF, and have about 7 boxes of old Cannuck ammo for mine. Considering the ammo is tough to find, and expensive now, I don't shoot mine often. But it's such a accurate shooting gun that I can't let is simply sit in the safe and never shoot it!
Mine is a Ballard #3 that is marked on the underside of the barrel, "Re-rifled by J Stevens Arms." and ".25 Rimfire" beside the first marking. The markings are the typical Stevens style as used on their guns. It also sports a J. Stevens full length telescope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall,

Nice looking rifle. Wish I still lived in an area with Fox and Gray squirrels. This thread has me wanting to break out the Stevens for a day. Funny part is we have some, but only in town since eastern New Mexico is not exactly noted for its forests.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Thaine
Vall,

Nice looking rifle. Wish I still lived in an area with Fox and Gray squirrels. This thread has me wanting to break out the Stevens for a day. Funny part is we have some, but only in town since eastern New Mexico is not exactly noted for its forests.

Thaine

We've got plenty in town also, and more in town than out in the woods. But a 40 mile drive isn't too bad to get to gray squirrels here. I've never hunted them myself, and never eaten one either. Not sure why, but it just seemed like there was plenty of other small game I preferred to hunt.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.