March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#572296 05/18/20 02:48 PM
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By request here are pics of the first custom bolt rifle I've build since the 1970s. The client, my good friend Kurt commission this rifle many, many years ago on the pay as you go plan.It was completed in and delivered 2019.
Metalsmith Ed LaPour accomplished the early and very late metalwork, Ralf Martini contoured the barrel, octagon to round with full length rib, to my design and Gordon Alcorn added the engraving. All stockmaking, finishing and much hand metalwork was accomplished in my workshop with metal polishing and bluing assistance by my apprentice Oliver Wilderson.

25" barrel and long LOP make for a lot of rifle. Stocked for offhand shooting.

The action has three guard screws eliminating the need for a barrel tie-down.

Craftsmen acknowledged. Barrel fitting, chambering and matting by LaPour.

Bottom of action was extensively welded to accommodate three guard screws.

Alcorn engraving. LaPour made a trigger guard blank and I hand filed to Sporter shape.

Nitre and fine textured rust bluing, gold inlay and ala Rigby.

LaPour thinned the sideplate so we could eliminate the off-side stock cut-out adding strength and pleasing lines.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/18/20 02:52 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

absolutely beautiful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very fine. Thanks.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is pretty sweet. The left side is striking and seems as if the barrel is almost sitting on top of the stock rather than buried down it it.

Given the longer than average barrel and LOP, it still looks like it may be a fairly light rifle to carry. Does the owner hunt with it? And if so, what?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, that photo is a unclear, but the third one down makes it clear .

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 05/18/20 06:09 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding!! Thanks for sharing! I like the addition of the action screws. Did you have any particular inspiration in the design? I particularly like the way that the fore end is profiled.

-Tom

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the complements, guys. As the four close-up show the action and barrel are inletted to half-depth as they should be. The rifle weighs 7lbs. 12 oz making it relatively light. With it's long length the balance point is just forward of the action so it carries nicely.

The owner took delivery shortly after hunting season last year but assures me that his plan is to hunt the rifle. The Rigby type bolt-stop peep sight has two elevation stops for different distances and a gold line for reference. Kurt lives on the Stillwater River here in Montana and has mule deer roaming around his place.

I wish I had clover-leafed the tang but was not aware of that trick when I began the project.

The design is my own with influence from 1920s-30s American Sporters. I had a Shelhamer custom Krag as an example but took this project much further particularly with the three action screws and solid left stock wall. I know of no other Krag with similar treatment. Three guard screws was my idea bu LaPour gets the credit for the extensive welding required to make it happen. The action was heat treated after all welding and stippling.

Trigger guard blank being shaped and contoured with hand-files.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Kurt lives on the Stillwater River here in Montana and has mule deer roaming around his place.

I think the Stillwater River and the surrounding country is as beautiful a country as anywhere in the world.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree but please don't let the word out, we are all hiding out here in MT~~~ only 8 covid cases in the HUGE county I live in.
Birding on Sat. I must of seen 30 Long Billed Curlew, all in pairs in (zero covid cases) Sweetgrass County!!!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/18/20 11:46 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful design and workmanship.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful job!

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Once again, My thanks to all for the appreciative comments. This project seemed to go on forever because of cash flow and other project interruptions. This is perhaps the most detailed custom rifle project ever accomplished in my shop. Little things, like the gold line on the sight wheel and the "clam shell" engraving on the rib were imagined years ago but only added at the very end of the job. Enough time to forget about them.

I'm delighted that the Krag is completed and delivered and more so because Kurt is a shooter and hunter and the rifle will see the field and quite probably some blood. I've never been particularly prolific but that little 24k tombstone graces a few dozen fine guns, revolvers, muzzleloaders and rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rear sight is quite well done and really showcases how That type of sight was appreciated " back in the day"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great rifle, Steven. Quite an improvement over my Stoeger Krag. Can you show the butt treatment?

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Butt treatment? It has a black recoil pad at the client's request.

Sidelock
Sidelock

very handsome rifle...i always enjoy seeing a nicely done krag...sort of a link between yesterday & today...

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.