Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So to give a quick update on the flood in front of my house.

Its about 2 foot deep, and the Spawning Buffalo, are in there thick.

Obviously the fish dont care about the impending flood.

Ill check my elevation studies one more time, and look at the counties projections Im good So far, because my home is 35 tall.
2nd Floor is 12 ft above the first, and the 3rd 11 above that.

The first floor valued items are on 2nd floor now. Wife has taken walk around videos of every room for current inventory.

We have too much stuff.

Living in a museum sucks if you are pre preparing for a flood.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad spent 22 years living out of a sea bag. After 8 years as a reservist, two moves, two wives, two kids and a house later, he remarked that he wished he had never stopped.

After he died, I wished he hadnt, either.

Hope things end up mostly dry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ,
I hear that downtown Coleman is 9 feet under water, and Midland is threatened as well. Eis is headed up to his hunt camp to check on it's condition. Hoping you make it through all this.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I should be fine.
My home is made of stone, and is 170 years old.
It's been wet before.
I figure they placed it here, because it was built before county flood control was invented.

But I'm not an idiot.
I have evac plans, and people lined up to help if required.

Check out this video footage upstream.
Wixom lake was 2000 acres and 40 ft deep.
Sayonara baby!

Oops bad link

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 05/20/20 12:56 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck and be safe. This will be the case in many states as a multitude of decades old, unmaintained private dams fail. Community associations refuse to repair or breach all of the ones on the private lakes around here. The Georgia Safe Dams Commission is toothless and does not enforce the statute.

Never buy lowlands for permanent habitation...

Sidelock
Sidelock

To prevent and protect, my view is that private services like garbage collection, street lights and snow removal from streets and sidewalks should be paid for by municipal taxes, and higher levels of governance have a responsibility to protect the public from disasters waiting to happen through proper regulation and public funding. Otherwise, civilization is marching backwards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ I wish you the absolute BEST

Amarillo got 1/10 of an inch or rain last night and wow it sure
did make a difference

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
Good luck and be safe. This will be the case in many states as a multitude of decades old, unmaintained private dams fail. Community associations refuse to repair or breach all of the ones on the private lakes around here. The Georgia Safe Dams Commission is toothless and does not enforce the statute.

Already happening in many cases, including here in Iowa a few years ago.

But it's not just private infrastructure, nor just dams. Many other items can, will, and are falling apart. For instance, Minneapolis lost a bridge not too many years ago.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, I was around the Red in Winnipeg for a 500 year flood. 40 times the normal annual flow. Created a lake in southern Manitoba 40 miles x 80 miles. 1997.....same flood nailed Grand Forks, ND.

Hope you get through this one. 4" is the difference been awe inspiring and disaster.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.

Already happening in many cases, including here in Iowa a few years ago.

But it's not just private infrastructure, nor just dams. Many other items can, will, and are falling apart. For instance, Minneapolis lost a bridge not too many years ago.

A bridge that would still be in place, except, somebody screwed up and used .500 plate
Instead of the 1 plate the designer specified to assemble the steel work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

When a NTSB guy writes his doctoral thesis on why the bridge is going to fall, before it falls, you might want to listen to him.

Might not be the best example of falling apart infrastructure, Brent. Way Big Infrastructure Screwup, maybe.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.