March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remembering 2nd. Lt. Donald B. Adamson USA 7th Air Cav. KIA 22/Feb/1966 Pleiku. East 5 panels. 63rd line down. "In Flander's Fields, where poppies grow, there stand white crosses, row upon row--- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Lloyd3 #572829 05/26/20 05:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My late Uncle, James Nolan. He did 4 years in the USMC, mostly in Japan and Korea, and was in Korea for the festivities. The only story he told me was of walking back alone from church on a Sunday morning, and being attacked by mortars on the road. He jumped into a rice paddy full of human excrement and hid until the attack was over. I do not believe he was in a combat position, but, dont know. Like my Dad, he never spoke of it to me.
Uncle Jimmy, as we called him, just passed in March of this year.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

No surprise-- Korea, Japan, China- none of them are Christian nations, and do NOT adhere to the Geneva convention rules. The gooks coated the punji sticks with tiger shit, to further the pain and destruction . One of many reasons why our Armed Forces mantra became: "Kill them all, let God sort 'em out in the next world. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
My late Uncle, James Nolan....was in Korea for the festivities. The only story he told me was of walking back alone from church on a Sunday morning, and being attacked by mortars on the road...

Moral of that story is dont go to church.

...are still there, were long gone.

Lloyd3 #572841 05/26/20 07:49 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
My late Uncle, James Nolan....was in Korea for the festivities. The only story he told me was of walking back alone from church on a Sunday morning, and being attacked by mortars on the road...

Really? Are you serious ? If not, your attempts at humor exceed sensibility.

Consider "Think twice, speak once". It may help ......... sure can't hurt.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Really? Are you serious ? If not, your attempts at humor exceed sensibility.

Consider "Think twice, speak once". It may help ......... sure can't hurt.

SRH

Just my experience, Stan, banging in and out and around the military since 79.

Bunch of us sat around yesterday swapping stories just like that. If anyone was butt hurt they didnt mention it. I had a good one about October 23, 1983.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your service. Better moral, dont go to Korea.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 #572852 05/26/20 08:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of those mentioned here for their sacrifices, did any tell family members they were heroes? The hundreds of survivors I've interviewed never thought of their service as anything more than doing their duty. Most described it as the greatest experience of their lives. I don't believe there was any difference in this respect among allied and axis men at arms.

Lloyd3 #572854 05/26/20 09:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe my Father was specifically told not to discus his actions or assignment in Southeast Asia.
A career Marine NonCom told me about it, briefly, at the funeral.

Im OK with it. I figure Dad was, too. I heard lots of stories about shore leave, the buddies he hunted with, and daily things that occurred in out of the way duty stations. Dad loved the Corps.
Dad told me if I wanted to join, join the Coast Guard. He thought the duty stations were better. Dad was biased to hunting and fishing, and figured the Coasties had more opportunity where they went.
I had pretty good options out of school.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 #572872 05/27/20 06:44 AM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

After reading Kings comments about the survivors not considering themselves to be heroes but only doing their duty got me thinking of one of dads lifelong friends, the late Harold Blumberg, who was crew chief on a B17 over Europe. After Harold died, his family found a trunk in the attic that contained papers and old uniforms and other war memorabilia. Among the papers was a Polish medal for valor and citation recounting a raid over Warsaw and his valor in defense of the flak-riddled plane and for repairing a defective bomb bay. According to the citation among other things, he crawled out on the catwalk over open doors to repair the mechanism to drop the armed and live load. Harolds deeds during that raid were written about in the Stars and Stripes in April of 1945 by Andy Rooney. True to form, according to the article Harold didnt tell the story to Rooney as he was on furlough at the time the article was written. Harold had never told anyone in his family about the raid or the Polish citation for bravery as he never spoke about the war to his wife or children. The Rooney article was recently reprinted by Stars and Stripes in celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the wars end. I found the article this morning as I looked for Harolds obituary.
https://www.stripes.com/news/special-rep...berlin-1.462690

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.