April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Dan R, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 936 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#572967 05/28/20 08:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stumbled upon two vintage American guns in my preferred configuration with straight stocks and long barrels. Both are choked F/F but nothing else about them screams target/pigeon gun. They are both ~6 1/2lbs. Neither is exceedingly rare but they are rare enough that I wouldnt want to alter their original chokes (assuming they are in fact still F/F). Would this choke combo deter you at all for upland hunting? Just throw a spreader load in one barrel? I hunted with a guy years ago who said he wouldnt leave the house without at least one barrel being full choke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I try to never hunt a gun without one barrel Full (except for waterfowl with steel). I have an Uggie sidelock 20 with 30 F/F and wouldnt consider opening the chokes. Also a Parker VH 12 with 32 F/F thats not changing. I prefer tight chokes, but I hunt mostly in the desert without a dog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't leave the house without at least one barrel being full choke? Good advice. I can think of a couple scenarios where a full choke may not be the best choice, but it's a good generalization.

I also seriously doubt if a 6 1/2 lb. double was a pigeon gun. 3 3/4 - 1 1/4 loads usually don't go good with 6 1/2 lb. guns.

Nice catch. Pics?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pass shooting ducks maybe, Turkeys of course. But otherwise, I can't think of a good use for double full chokes in a field gun. I am sure some would like it, just because there is always one person who wants something different, but no place where that would be the norm, yet guns were made that way for someone.

Were both guns owned by the same person? Were they custom ordered?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This comes up every so often, and it helps to understand not just the guns but the ammunition available when they were built.

Back in the 'day' there were no shot collars or plastic shot cups. Shot was generally 'chilled'.

A 'close shooting gun' was wanted by most, so full chokes were very common.

Only you can determine if you can use a full choke with modern ammunition to good effect in an upland situation with a light gun. I will state that 'Joe Average' cannot.

You can, however, easily load 'vintage' shells with fiber wads and chilled shot that will print modified patterns from those barrels without resorting to spreader inserts.

I would not let the chokes hold me back from purchasing the guns.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Handy for shooting ducks on the water.
Not so much in the woods.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quail with a pointing dog and the relatively little heavy cover grouse and woodcock hunting I've done are the only places I would rather not use full choke. I have come to much prefer tighter chokes along with lighter loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One full is great, except with something like grouse.

Two however, sounds like a specialty gun or just something special for those guys that really a gun that "hits like Thor's Hammer !" etc, etc etc.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has an opinion about choke. McIntosh favored more open choking for upland hunting. Reading his work led me to Acquire a number of guns in the skeet/improved cylinder and improved cylinder/light modified combinations. As I got to be a little bit better hunter and shot, I begin to feel that the more open chokes Resulted in missed birds (especially wild pheasants). That led me to acquire a few guns in the M/F range. Then I discovered choke tubes and I purchased a couple of guns with numerous choke options. Even with all these guns, I keep missing birds, therefore I believe I will just have to continue acquiring more guns and different combinations and maybe I can Eventually solve the problem.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vintage American guns?

Full and Full is certainly not rare. Frank Major Tobin, who built double guns at the turn of the previous century, noted most sports of the era requested full and full chokes, but, he felt they would be better served with more open chokes. This was around 1910.
Not much has changed, from what I have noted.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.