March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, Jason Dubois), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I really believe that stock speaks volumes. The big name gun and rifle makers werent always craftsmen, but often in the trade for the work. Personally, for me the floor plate is incidental, it doesnt seem to fit with any other part of the rifle, glad youre looking at the whole rifle. Still, I find good engraving interesting. Congrats.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, I have to disagree about vintage makers not always being craftsmen.Though some were better than others, I think they were craftsmen first and foremost, especially in the US where they were neither numerous nor well paid. Every major custom gun maker here was committed to the craft and had to know they would never be prosperous. The same is true today; it's a labor of love. That Wright, or whoever this maker was, used a piece of wood we'd reject doesn't detract from his labor on it.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/03/20 11:57 AM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

An observation on current auctions: Those of us who appreciate custom work from 1900-1940 are a vanishing species. We're also older than current auction catalogers who often don't know these pieces as well as we do. That means there are bargains to be had from time to time. The downside is that when we go to sell these things, we're faced with the diminished market too. So, it's surely a mixed blessing.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Craig, I have to disagree about vintage makers not always being craftsmen.Though some were better than others, I think they were craftsmen first and foremost....

Only conversation Bill.

The follow on thought might be, why let that stock out the door? If questionable grain flow showed as the blank was shaped, why not reject it? Or, was the job just to do great inletting and shaping? I think, in terms of labor, it may have been too costly to start over, or the customer specified it?

I dont have the desire or ability to test wood grain strength, though I have put cracks in many stocks among other woodworking projects. But, a gun stock is only aesthetically pleasing to me if it has good grain flow. For others, fiddleback and mineral streaks are all that matters, including modern commissioned customs, thats fine.

Throw the rules out for antiques and classics, the choice may be take it or leave it, because they dont grow on tree or come out of card board boxes from a big box retailer. I still think it would be easier to walk into a shop a hundred years ago and ask for a routine non best job than it would be today, if the shop were capable of best work and had the reputation for it.

Anyhow, see if shell group decent, and keep your eyes peeled for the next one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I want you to make a stock from this treasured blank."

But the grain layout is wrong.

"I know, and I don't care."

Hmmmm. (I do need to get the engine rebuilt in the Ford.) OK. (Maybe I'll get lucky. Here's hoping.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, the grain in this stock would have been obvious before any work was done.I think what Gary D. said is possible, that a client insisted it be used. I've encountered that situation before when I was making stocks for others. This stock seems to have survived, and so it may be sound because it's just strong wood. I made my choice; I hope it isn't an error. I will be shooting it, and if it groups well, I'll feel the wrist issue is acceptable. You're exactly right; we can't revise what the old-timers did.

Bill Ferguson
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

..... but I did find your comment humorous seeing that the chap has been dead for decades. Steve

But it may have killed him smile

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not disagree the grain layout in the grip could be better, given we have hindsight, but it has survived all these years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking forward to hearing more about it once you get it in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, The Springfield showed up yesterday, and I'm well pleased with it. It has more wear to the stock finish than the catalog photos showed. It has clearly seen a lot of careful hunting use. I don't mind that at all; after all, it's even older than I am. Of course there is no indication of the stocker's id, but the work is very fine. The inletting is crisp and detailed. Someone has glassed the recoil lug, carefully, which I appreciate since it makes shooting less likely to inflict damage. I think bsteele's attribution to the English stocker, John Wright, is most likely correct. In addition to the stylistic details, the very precise checkering is the flat top English type. I was somewhat concerned that the floorplate showed more finish wear than the rest of the metal, but I think it's that this rifle has been carried a lot, and that's the place where the wear appears. I should get to the range with it in a day or so. Looking forward to that.

Bill Ferguson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.