March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 841 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#574296 06/23/20 11:23 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am making an added on pistol grip of walnut for a shotgun (horrors) but I cannot find a picture of one, although I have seen a few in the flesh and pictures, all on rifles, mostly single shots.
Can anyone point me to some pictures, please. I am most interested in the front end transition as it flows into the pistol portion. The checkering pattern also would be helpful. Thanks.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here’s a link to a previous post with a nice example from SDH:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=513967&page=all

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is one on my Axtell 77

And a different style that I put on a Shiloh 74. It is uncheckered.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all for the response. Brent, I am particularly drawn to the one on your 77. There is also a nice one on on a Sharps in the Sharps book. I may even post a picture when done. A shotgun (horrors).
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a William Evans hammer double, probably about 1870s vintage, that had a couple of interesting holes in the trigger bow's tang that suggested it may have had a pistol grip on it. I am surprised I don't see more of them on shotguns.

The 77's grip is very functional. A Shiloh with a standard pistol grip is so long that even for a large hand, it is as if it was a straight grip and is of no help in shouldering the rifle. The Axtell (made by Axtell), is close enough to get the job done extremely well. The one that I made for the 74 is also very functional for the same reason. I made it from Desert Ironwood which made it easy to polish and it feels really good in the hand.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent,
Very nice work on the pistol grips.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, what is it like to work with ironwood? I have a good-size piece but haven'r done anything with it because I wasn't sure what tools would work/survive.

Bill Ferguson
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis Potter,
As you have said you have found pictures of added on pistol grip to single shots and I think most of what has been shown here on the post, as well done as they are, may be similar to what you have already reviewed (just a guess on my part). But I think that a very nice grip could be fashioned to straddle the straight grip and then inletted onto the grip. You would remove wood to a small depth all the way around the rifle grip and then carve the new wood grip to fit over the area where the wood was removed. It would look similar to the rifle in the bsteele link.
Here is a link to an upcoming auction of a Maynard with a pistol grip. Look pass the form of the grip itself but look how the lines are around the edge. Although this is not a fitted piece of wood, it could be. Let you imagination flow and hopefully you can see it.
Maynards
If you want to discuss you can pm me and we can connect

Sidelock
Sidelock

It works very well with files, but does not carve reasonably with knives and chisels have limited utility. It will polish to semigloss without finish. Dust can be dangerous, of course.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LRF,
Thanks for the thoughts and the photo. The Maynard looks to be a restock, my guess, and if the pistol grip is added on, it sure is great work But it may be made in one piece, the grain lines look to run from the butt and into the grip. Most interesting rifle, and great work. It will take me a while to get mine running, but I will post pix when done.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dennis Potter
LRF,
Thanks for the thoughts and the photo. The Maynard looks to be a restock, my guess, and if the pistol grip is added on, it sure is great work But it may be made in one piece, the grain lines look to run from the butt and into the grip. Most interesting rifle, and great work. It will take me a while to get mine running, but I will post pix when done.
Dennis

Yes I know the Maynard was restocked and yes I know the grip on it is part of the actual stock. Apparently, I was not able to communicate what I had envisioned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, I think there are two philosophies of bolt on pistol grips. One is to try to hide it and make it appear as if it is all one piece. The Axtell 1877 Sharps is like that.

The other way is to make it a feature and show it off as in the 1874 Sharps. Both work but I like going with the feature philosophy because it is a little more unusual and gives you a chance to try something a bit more creative.

I look forward to seeing whatever approach you take. I'm sure it will be great.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 1800's they also offered hard rubber grip adapters for some single shot rifles to add on. And steel checkered grip adapters too! I've got a hard rubber on my Rolling Block Sporting Rifle, and a steel I took off a Trapdoor Springfield I once owned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, didn't someone make aluminum grips too? Maybe in the 20th century? Seems that I have seen that somewhere.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to those who responded to my request for pictures. I also looked a a grip adapter in The Sharps book. I had to have one, so here is mine, I can post a few pictures of mine if someone can post them for me, please. A screw holds it in place through the guard tang and into the wood. Now to try it out.

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send your pics to brentd@iastate.edu and I'll post them for you.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, if you sent any pictures, I never received them.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures for Dennis, I like this one a lot. A Prince of Wales grip is sweet.

I recently sold a William Evans hammer gun with a very long pull and a very suspicious screw hole in the lower tang. Almost certainly it was for something like this but whatever was bolted on there was long gone.

_________

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks great!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.