Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Renaissance Wax. "Much ado about nothing". Over stated, over priced, over hyped, and not much used on this side of the pond, unless you have your guns in class cases for people to view as if in a Museum.

Would you care to enlighten on exactly how it is "Over priced (and) over hyped"? Have you tested it for the purposes it is advertised, by the makers, to be intended for, and found it over priced and over hyped?

Here is the product description, by the makers, verbatim:

Product description
Extraordinary wax polish restores, refreshes and protects fine furniture, antiques, precious metals, collectibles, art and much more. It's also ideal for use as a friction finish for woodturning. It dries hard instantly, resists liquid spillage, does not show finger marks, freshens colors, and imparts a soft sheen. Developed by the British Museum in the early 1950s for fine art conservation, Renaissance Wax Polish is a blend of highly refined micro-crystalline fossil-origin waxes. It can be used on virtually all solid surface materials - even paper. The #1 choice of museums, galleries and professionals worldwide! For furniture, apply sparingly with a soft cloth and buff gently. Made in England. 65 ml can.

Lacking clarification on your statement I'm assuming you meant for use on guns. Nowhere in the product description is it specified as a great product for guns. Did you mean for furniture, galleries and collectibles in general? OBTW, for it's intended uses, it's rated 5 Star by 84% of 452 purchasers to bothered to rate it.

If you have specific information that would shed greater light on it's true value, I'd really appreciate it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Renaissance wax mixed with a bit of lamp black to highlight and protect French grayed metal engravings. Also waxed some engraved aluminum guitar inlays about 6 years ago and so far no sign of oxidation...still nice and shiny.

I'm with Stan on the Johnson's paste wax for protecting a gun when out in the weather...no rust after several years in the Kodiak, AK salt environment.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a can or two. Seems like a nice clean consistent wax with a fossily smell. I use it now and then, and will most likely never use up one can. It works pretty well on on slings.

I like the paste wax idea for wet conditions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a number of spray-on products made specifically to stop corrosion on steel shop tools like table saws. They are vastly better than Johnson's paste wax. Ever try them on guns? They have worked well for me. But my favorite one is no longer available for some reason.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan you are starting to come over as as the person who said let me see the nail holes. Unless you are now the incumbent of the Witch finder general post. I have my opinions and I do not see any reason on this planet why I should justify them to you. Just incase you have forgotten we live in a democracy, Just in case you have forgotten "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Clear!!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
I have been using ceramic wax on my gloss finished guns and the results have been good so far.

Bill

Same here Bill......that's some slick stuff! I use RW too. I like it but I rarely shoot in a deluge.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Stan you are starting to come over as as the person who said let me see the nail holes. Unless you are now the incumbent of the Witch finder general post. I have my opinions and I do not see any reason on this planet why I should justify them to you. Just incase you have forgotten we live in a democracy, Just in case you have forgotten "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Clear!!!!!

Its not about whether or not we agree, damascus. I asked for reasons why you feel like you do. If you don't have them, or don't want to share them, that's fine. End of discussion.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For the most part I have quit using it. It does leave a very nice and shiny finish but I found it to not be very durable out in the field. Guess Im old fashioned but Im back to Johnsons paste floor wax. To protect metal surfaces I have never found anything better than a thin coat of Formbys Tung Oil. Its very durable and withstands the worst weather you can throw at it.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, is it any tung oil that will do the job or is there something unique about Formby's?

Last edited by canvasback; 06/27/20 11:11 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used Johnsons on a couple of oil finished guns years ago and it was a disaster. In extreme heat and humidity, it turned into a gooey mess, no matter how much I buffed it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.