March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#574769 07/03/20 11:54 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents:
I shoot side-by-sides. I know the difference between a boxlock and a sidelock (particularly hand removable), as far as an ability to remove/replace a sidelock that fails, needs drying, or other service.

My question is about sideplates. Do sideplate actions have any inherent advantage over a boxlock? Can you (with a turnscrew) open the action to dry it, rather than pull the stock as you need to do with a boxlock? I'm thinking of an action that has gotten drenched in a downpour or water dunking.
GG

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know some sidelocks that have had their wood damaged by the side plate removal and reinstallment. I tend to leave mine alone unless really needed.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a sideplate gun so I'm unsure just what is under the sideplate. Since such a gun is really just a boxlock I'd expect to just find wood under the plate and I doubt there'd be any more access to the locks without removing the stock than on a straight boxlock...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

GG, to answer your question, IMO, sideplate actions have no practical reason for being other than a place for engraving. You might think from my statement that I don't like sideplate guns, nothing could be further from the truth. I own (custodian in this life) a Francotte Eagle grade that is my favorite shotgun and as my bestus bud calls it "pick of the litter".

I also agree with Karl, sidelocks are best left to a person with experience to remove them.

Doug

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only such gun I have is a Beretta 687EL.

This is of course more properly a 'trigger plate' action.

There is certainly no added 'utility'. The stock has to come off for any maintenance requirements.

It adds weight and removes wood. It just results in more metal area for embellishment.

If it looks any better than one without is a matter of taste.

The Berettas are through bolted guns so strength isn't compromised.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is the Bernardelli Gamecock Premier
It does quite well

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My only side plated gun is my FAIR Verona LX 692 Gold Sporting 28/.410 two barreled set. I restocked it a few years ago to get more drop and get rid off the ugly target buttstock it came with. The side plates were no problem to remove and replace numerous times as I inlet them.

They look nice, with the extra room for engraving, as mentioned by SJ. But, as far as utility, I know of nothing about them that makes them more useful in any other way.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Lefever, having some part of the locks on the side-plate does allow greater access to the locks. But it isn't technically a side-plate gun I reckon...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, a side plated gun does robably have an advantage over a plain, standard boxlock, IMO. Boxlocks, due to their design have very little wood contacting the action and are prone over time to develop cracks and split open at the head of the stock. A sideplated gun, with a screw running through the weakest part of the stock, clamps all this wood together and strengthens it. Same principle as a C clamp. There is a trade off to accomplish this though and it may cancel any advantage: Wood has to be removed to inlet the side plates and that does thin wood in a critical area.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The marketing term for early side plates was Ornamental Strengthening Plates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.