April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, SKB, GETTEMANS, Hugh Lomas, 2 invisible), 431 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,808
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen numerous tests designed to determine the corrosion resistance of various gun oils. But I have never seen a side-by-side test of various waxes that would show us which provided the best shine, durability, and overall protection to wood finishes or metal under all conditions. Now that would be interesting.

I've never bought or used Ren wax, based upon many threads and reviews here that say it is best for museum pieces, but not as well suited as other waxes for severe weather protection. I've had good success with good old Johnson's Paste Wax, but as Greg notes, it may leave a bit of haze with heavier applications, if it is not completely buffed off. Another wax I occasionally use is Collinite Insulator Wax

https://nationalsupplydirect.com/collini...AiABEgL4_vD_BwE

This stuff must be good for all weather conditions because it is used by utility companies to protect high voltage insulators from surface contaminants that may cause arcing or explosive failures. Insulators are not cleaned and waxed every month, and they are continually exposed to every type of weather, so power companies found a product that lasts a long time and does a good job. Only thing is, despite what they say, it does take a bit more effort to buff off to a nice shine than Johnsons.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mothers Carnuba paste wax is absolutely outstanding. No silicones and easily polished. Made for automobiles and commonly found in auto supply stores. It is the real deal.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Mothers Carnuba paste wax is absolutely outstanding. No silicones and easily polished. Made for automobiles and commonly found in auto supply stores. It is the real deal.

If for automotive use, it may have an abrasive in it.
A relative of mine polished the paint off a car using paste wax, probably Johnson, over the course of a few years, by obsessive applications.

Last edited by DmColonial; 07/05/20 02:00 PM.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, no abrasives. Just carnuba.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.