April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, Lloyd3, AWOLF, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 808 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

So the real issue is not the metal that is absent from the sides of the receiver, but because there is metal absent from the sides of the receiver, that means there is less metal behind the breechblock (i.e. to handle the rearward thrust of the breechblock)?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed.. the paneled sides are safe at any speed. The unsupported breech block, not so much. How much, not so much - that is the debatable issue.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread has been helpful to me. First, it has been educational - which is always a plus. Second, the comments from those that have been less than enthralled with the .38-56 chambering helps assuage my pangs over not ending up with this rifle. The pangs are still there, but not as bad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an original antique Low Wall that we discussed here some time ago. Started as a .32 rimfire, a rusty junker. A guy I worked with bought it, put in a CF block and re-barreled it to .32-40. He fired what he said were a few Winchester "John Wayne" cartridges. Another friend thought they were handloads, but overloaded with 4227. In any event, the action failed, cracking on both sides at the rear of the breech block slot. The guy sold it to person #2 as junk.

Person #2 had the action repaired by some expert welding, quite a good job. The action was completely refinished in french grey and was engraved by Ken Hurst. That completely hides the welds. Person #2 then put a Green Mountain .25-20 WCF barrel on the action, rust blued the barrel and other parts, fitted good sights. #2 is an excellent woodworker. He made a stock of light colored walnut with a beautiful figure. The rifle is a thing of beauty.

But the rifle was terribly inaccurate, simply would not shoot well. #2 consigned it to a shop, but with a folder attached showing photos of the rebuilding, including before & after pics of the cracked & welded action.

I purchased the rifle, even though I knew all the details. On inspection, the barrel was a reject, should have never left the shop. About 6 inches of tool chatter marks in one groove.

I had made arrangements with Joe Harr to convert the action to rimfire and put a .22 LR liner in the barrel. We were going to trade breech blocks. The rifle was ready to ship when Joe died.

It went back into the safe. Now I'm 80, with other, very interesting rifles to play with, including another Low Wall, converted to a Hornet years back. I had that one re-barreled to 28-30 Stevens and made with a false muzzle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: waterman
I have an original antique Low Wall that we discussed here some time ago. Started as a .32 rimfire, a rusty junker. A guy I worked with bought it, put in a CF block and re-barreled it to .32-40. He fired what he said were a few Winchester "John Wayne" cartridges. Another friend thought they were handloads, but overloaded with 4227. In any event, the action failed, cracking on both sides at the rear of the breech block slot. The guy sold it to person #2 as junk.

Person #2 had the action repaired by some expert welding, quite a good job. The action was completely refinished in french grey and was engraved by Ken Hurst. That completely hides the welds. Person #2 then put a Green Mountain .25-20 WCF barrel on the action, rust blued the barrel and other parts, fitted good sights. #2 is an excellent woodworker. He made a stock of light colored walnut with a beautiful figure. The rifle is a thing of beauty.

But the rifle was terribly inaccurate, simply would not shoot well. #2 consigned it to a shop, but with a folder attached showing photos of the rebuilding, including before & after pics of the cracked & welded action.

I purchased the rifle, even though I knew all the details. On inspection, the barrel was a reject, should have never left the shop. About 6 inches of tool chatter marks in one groove.

I had made arrangements with Joe Harr to convert the action to rimfire and put a .22 LR liner in the barrel. We were going to trade breech blocks. The rifle was ready to ship when Joe died.

It went back into the safe. Now I'm 80, with other, very interesting rifles to play with, including another Low Wall, converted to a Hornet years back. I had that one re-barreled to 28-30 Stevens and made with a false muzzle.

A very interesting story - so many twists and turns. Thanks for posting. I'm surprised so much work would go into the welding and engraving when finding a no-problem low wall rifle is not an expensive prospect. However, I am aware sometimes there is the strong appeal of rescuing something that is on hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose I could add to this discussion. I have a high wall that has been fitted with a short, light barrel in .30-40 Krag obviously set up for hunting. The interesting thing about it is that it has a one piece stock by Farr. There is information on Farr in Landis. He describes that for the woodchuck hunters matches of the late 30s early 40s he figured the only way a single shot could compete with the bolt actions was if it had a one piece stock. He goes on to tell of his unusual bedding system where the recoil is taken up by a dovetailed block which carries a barrel band and is inlet into the forearm. The action itself floats free except that the shortened upper tang has one screw into the stock. The lower tang is cut off at the trigger. It carries a Lyman 1a peep on a shortened tang base. Sounds weird but it works. Once I had found the cast bullet load for it, a less than MOA group at 100 yards resulted.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HalfaDouble
..... The action itself floats free except that the shortened upper tang has one screw into the stock. The lower tang is cut off at the trigger. ....

Now there is a twist, floating action instead of floating barrel. Please post a picture of your unique rifle I know many would like to see is. We can help with picture posting if needed.

Last edited by LRF; 07/13/20 03:36 PM.
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boltman
Originally Posted By: waterman

A very interesting story - so many twists and turns. Thanks for posting. I'm surprised so much work would go into the welding and engraving when finding a no-problem low wall rifle is not an expensive prospect. However, I am aware sometimes there is the strong appeal of rescuing something that is on hand.

Waterman, please post a picture of the rifle you have. We would like to see it. (If you don't know how to post pictures then let me or PhysDoc know and we can do it for you. Just send a PM)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope it shot a lot better that 1 MOA after all that trouble. 2-piece stocked 1885s do that with regularity.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure his woodchuck/target rifles did with their heavy barrels and full power loads in 219 Donaldson or 30-30 Improved or one of Farr's wildcats. I only shoot cast bullets at targets and, actually, many modern hunting rifles are pressed to do 1 MOA maybe especially in 30-40.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.