March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#575116 07/07/20 03:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took a gamble and bought a gunstock blank lot off ebay. The listing stated that the seller's father made custom gunstocks and kept a few special pieces that he planned to use some day. The seller thought they were 'English Walnut', but he didn't know.

I'm curious what you all think about whether I got a good deal (as far as you can tell from the pictures). I'm not planning to sell them. Just curious-- and hoping I can tell my wife that the "walnut chips", as she called them, that arrived at the house were worth at least as much as I paid.

Without my saying (for now) how much I paid, what do you all think this collection of blanks might be worth?

Blank #1:

Blank #2:

Blank #3: (does the 9/62 on this stock indicate that it was cut in 1962? If not, what do the marking on blanks mean?)

Other Odds and Ends that came with the lot:

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love #3. It looks like God grew it specifically to stock a POW or pistol grip with.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

First thing I look for in a blank is how the grain runs through the wrist. #1 looks a bit iffy, #2 looks good except for what you might encounter at the butt end. #3 is definitely the best. The rest of the wood looks like an odd assortment that might fit any of several older guns. The one with the rubber pad looks like in might fit a Browning Superposed. And I'd say 9/62 is the date the blank was cut

I'm guessing you paid $350 for the lot and could sell for twice that.

Last edited by Dave Schiller; 07/07/20 05:06 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What are you seeing in the wrist of the first blank that would make you concerned?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Need to see top, bottom and both ends to properly assess. The flash is but a small part of the equation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
What are you seeing in the wrist of the first blank that would make you concerned?

The grain is not exactly in line with the force. Maybe OK, but not ideal. The other side may be OK. I'm basing my conclusion on only one photo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

actually, without actually seeing the pattern placement, I think it is likely that #3 over rotates that grain and may well chip out on top behind the fences. I like #1 a lot and maybe more than #3. The blank in photo number 5 might be a sleeper once it is planed down and that wood can be examined a bit more.

In any event, some nice wood that is certainly with a couple hundred bucks each (including that photo #5). And perhaps a lot more.

I do love looking at wood. Thanks for the pictures.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Schiller
Originally Posted By: Woomglydreaux

The grain is not exactly in line with the force. Maybe OK, but not ideal. The other side may be OK. I'm basing my conclusion on only one photo.

I have to disagree fairly strongly in that regard.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The chip out on the photo #5 blank might mean it doesn't take too kindly to planing? A good look at the end grain of that stick and the forend blank could be a good idea, it may have wicked up some unintended moisture. It still might be a nice blank, maybe look over the whole stash for little checks and splits?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw that lot on EBay. For what you paid for it you did OK to possible very well. Everything will work, if you are looking at a through bolt stock job. Others are right about the grain structure in the wrist being a concern based on limited photos. When you are buying blanks off photos you need all six side as a starting point. Many blanks are only great on one side or have grain which is more surface oriented which can run out when shaped. I have a couple blanks with crotch which might be nothing fancy when shaped that I bought long ago based on two photos of the sides. If I had seen a top and end grain photo I would have seen that the blank was all flash and not substance. Lesson learned.

Another thing photos can not show is the density of the wood. Orchard grown wood, tends to be faster growing wood and more open grain structured. If you can dent the wood with a finger nail it is too soft. We fall in love with fancy grain, when we should fall in love with a blank which is perfect grain flow with a bit of flash grain when finished.

Glad you bought the lot and that it went to a god home. Now you need to decide what to use it for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.